Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone had this email supposedly from the IFHF site? Is it a scam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had this email supposedly from the IFHF site? Is it a scam?

Please change your password

A breach of security has recently occurred on BRS Genealogy / Roots Ireland which hosts the IFHF site (www.rootsireland.ie), in response to which all necessary defensive measures have been taken. In the breach part of the database which includes our member’s usernames, email addresses and passwords was accessed. This triggered a series of steps that has resulted in us sending you this warning email.
    No data relating to your online payment transactions (credit or debit card details) was on these servers. Please be assured that we do NOT store credit card details or any payment details. Nothing of that nature is held on our site and as a result such data is not at risk. All payments are handled by a secure payment gateway Realex (http://www.realex.ie/).

What you need to do:
    • We strongly recommend that all users take steps to change their passwords.
      Click here for more information on how to change your password.
    • You will be required to change your password at your next login, (unless you have recently done so).
    • We recommend that users choose a non-dictionary word that is hard to guess containing both upper and lower case letters and numerals, and use different passwords for different websites.
    • We also recommend that if you use the same email and password on other sites that you change your password on those sites also.
    Since the breach a full review of security has taken place. Further security measures have been implemented to minimise the risk of such a breach happening again.
    We apologise for this inconvenience.
    Irish Family History Foundation, Main St. Newbridge, Co. Kildare., Email: enquiries@rootsireland.ie

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

never ever ever click on a link in an email to change your password its always a scam , go to the site yourself and do it .
    But that link seems to only be to tell you how to do it ??? I would still not click on a link.

Comment

That's why I thought it was a scam.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

An additional check - were you addressed personally? or as a "valued customer" or "member" or something?

... but I still wouldn't click on a link.

Actually, you should be able to tell whether the link is going where it says it's going by hovering your cursor over the link, and then looking at the bottom-left of the window frame, where the actual destination usually shows.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

although it does seem weird you dont have a credit card logged with them do you ???

Comment

A quick read does make it look more as if it's warning to you that you should visit the site, yourself, to change your password.

I just googled teh critical terms, and nothing came up - scams usually come up straight away.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have just recieved one of these too, praps goto their website and have a look
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I use that website but haven't received one of those warning mails. I've just been to the site and was able to login as normal.

Comment

Hi - you can e mail http://www.irish-roots.ie/ifhf-contacts.asp KK - Secretary. Slightly different, but I've had quite a few scam type e mails lately - they seem to come in spurts.
                  Not family history type ones though. There's nothing mentioned on their latest news on the front page.

Comment

Look on general threads

Comment

Just received one of these myself but I have ignored and deleted message.

Janet

Comment

EDITED in light of post by Peppie, below.

So [may] not [be] a scam...
                        BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

(Thanks to thread on General)

Christine
                        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 16-02-10, 11:53. Reason: later info supersedes

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                          So not a scam...
                          BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

(Thanks to thread on General)

Christine
                          Christine, that BBC one is not the IFHF site but a forum.....

this is the IFHF
                          http://www.irish-roots.ie/

and there is no warning on their home page.......

Comment

Whether it is a scam or not - it got me thinking about my passwords and I will be changing them - if I can remember what they are. Tend to go onto a site and then have to try all my different ones until I get the right one!! lol

Comment

Working...
                            X