World Wide Ancestry, anyone, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Wide Ancestry, anyone, please?

My 3x g grandfather Thoms GARTLAND was born in Ireland (sigh!) about 1800.

He came to England about 1824 and is living in Barnsley, YKS on the 1841 census with his wife, Margaret, and six children. He is a linen weaver - along with many other Irish weavers in the same area.

Unfortunately the 1851 census for parts of Barnsley are too damaged to read and I suspect the family are hiding on a damaged page.

In 1861 Margaret is in Barnsley, a widow. I have never found a suitable death for Thomas between 1841 and 1861. Sent for the certificate Q2 1849, Huddersfield but it is an infant.

Yesterday I found a tree on Ancestry (OK so a lot are works of vivid imagination, I know). This tree claims that this Thomas Gartland was in Iowa, USA in 1850 and 1860 and died in 1861.

Does anyone have access to these US censuses who could check this out for me? I would be so grateful.

Anne

am having a look for you Anne,
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

well the 1850 census isnt much help, it jsut states that Thomas Gartlan abt. 45yrs is a labourer from Ireland. no mention of wife or family.
      Julie

Comment

BUT: there ARE naturalisation cards for him, in 1852 gimme mo,

right, naturalised 13 dec 1852 @ vermont, it gives Roberttown, Ireland as 'country of birth or allegiance'
        Last edited by Darksecretz; 14-02-10, 14:30.
        Julie

Comment

Thomas Gartland 40 a cartman Born Ireland
          Elizabeth 41 Born Ireland
          Helen 12 Born Upper Canada
          James 11 Born Ohio
          Patrick 9 Born Ohio
          Catharine 6 Born Iowa
          Charles 2 Born Iowa
          Mary 7 months Born Iowa
          Jay

Comment

Thank you, Jay. I don't think that one is him then - wrong age and different children!

I'll see what Julie comes up with *waits with bated breath* - thanks Julie.

Anne

Comment

I've found the tree your on about Anne & that census I posted is what is attached, also the 1860 census for

1860 Davenport, Scott, Ohio
              Thomas Gartland 50 farming Born Ireland
              Elizabeth 45 Born Ireland
              Ellen 22 Born Canada
              James 21 Born Ohio
              Patrick 19 Born Ohio
              Catharine 16 Born Iowa
              Mary 9 Born Iowa
              Bridget 7 Born Iowa
              Charles 11 Born Iowa
              Jay

Comment

Oh drat! Its as I thought then .... another work of fiction. Can't the tree holder do sums! How can he be in Barnsley with a 1 year old at the same time as he's apparrently in Canada and Ohio having children with another wife.

Thank You very much for looking!
                Anne

Comment

Julie - Just seen your edit too. Would you say this is the same person Jay found?
                  Thank you so much for looking for me

Anne

Comment

there are ALOT of Thomas Gartlands in the states btw, so unless this bod with the tree has some concrete evidence it could be pure speculation.
                    Julie

Comment

The 1870 census has a Thomas Gartland aged 64, a widower, born Ireland who's a labourer living in house of Matthew & Margaret Boyle who were also born in Ireland. They're living at North Providence District 3, Providence, Rhode Island. Is this the same one Julie found in 1850?
                      Jay

Comment

My Thomas Gartland's first child was born in Ireland (before they came to Barnsley) in about 1821 so I can't see him being born very much after 1800 (which is what the 1841 England census indicates).

Interesting, Julie, that there are so many Thomas GARTLANDs in the US. Its a very rare name in England. I wish I could find his death - that would put an end to the specualtion!

Anne

Comment

mm it seems alot of them are irish so praps the ireland route is the way to go?
                          Julie

Comment

TBH, Julie, I had put him right on the back burner! With no clue as to where in Ireland he might have been born I don't think there is much hope.

His wife Margaret was allegedly MCGINTY before marriage. The only evidence we have for this is the probable actual memory of two of her great grandaughters who became Mormons and went to Utah. Its all far too vague!!

Thanks for your help - at least I feel I tried and can now rule out that route. ..... In fact I'm off to add a comment to that tree on Ancestry!!!!

Anne

Edit to say ..... PMSL - the tree holder has 'massaged' his age to make it fit!!!!!
                            Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 14-02-10, 15:39.

Comment

Working...
                            X