Morwitch - banbury, smith, davis - ggg aunt sophia’s nieces & nephews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morwitch - banbury, smith, davis - ggg aunt sophia’s nieces & nephews

My ggg Aunt Sophia MORWITCH died after her return to England in 1933. She mentions in her will three nieces and 1 nephew - Miss Florence Smith (presumed in England ?) Mrs Ray Davis (Sydney, Australia), Mrs Anne Banbury (Kilburn, London) and Mr Lewis Smith (New York, USA).
    Two nephews challenged Sophia’s will here in Australia William Henry Lewis (or Henry William Lewis) and Joseph Alfred Nathan.

I am trying to establish Sophia’s maiden name.

Are these names familiar to anyone ?

Mr Morwitch's first name was Henry - He and Sophia were involved in dispute which went to court and is reported here

which means they were married before 1867. The same newspapers website has several reports about the will dispute.
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Looking on ancestry - there's a Henry Morwitch in Bristol in the 1851 census as a jeweller (and not married). There are several passenger lists which show H or Henry Morwitch travelling up and down the East Coast of Australia between 1877 and 1882, and Sands Directory listings for 1898-1900 in McLeay St and in 1902 in North Steyne Manly. However, I cannot find a marriage of Henry Morwitch to anyone, let alone Sophia in NSW or Queensland or even in Freebmd.
      Last edited by dicole; 14-02-10, 10:10.
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Thank you Diane, and I apologise for my tardy response. I have a sneaking suspicion that Henry and Sophia married in England, Henry emigrated to Australia, then "sent" for Sophia once he was set up. I have a lot of work to confirm this......but I'm still young :-)
        Scott

Comment

No sign of a marriage in England for a Henry Mor* to a Sophia.

This looks like the death of Joseph Alfred Nathan:

gazette.slv.vic.gov.au/images/1949/V/general/611.pdf

This is the matching entry in the NSW BDM index:

20299/1947 / NATHAM JOSEPH ALFRED / EDWARD HYAM / SARAH ELIZABETH

The Registry was formed in 1856 to register life events in New South Wales accurately and securely for all time, ensuring their integrity and confidentiality. All our over the counter services are available at Service NSW centres.

However, there doesn't seem to be a marriage in NSW for Edward Hyam Nathan, or a birth there for Joseph.

Joseph's death cert should give you his mother's maiden name (if the informant was aware of it).

Comment

According to the electoral rolls, Joseph Alfred Nathan, solicitor, was living in Victoria in 1931 and 1943, first with an Emelie Nathan, presumably his wife, and then alone.

There's one hit for a marriage for Joseph Alfred Nathan, in 1887, in the Victoria BDM index:

It'll cost you the princely sum of $0.99 to download the full details, which with a bit of luck should include his mother's maiden name.
            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 17-02-10, 21:12.

Comment

There's a birth for a Joseph Alfred Nathan in New Zealand in 1869, which is about the right age to be marrying in 1887:

Still no marriage for his parents, though.

There's also a very irritating snippet from a book on Google book search, which may well relate to the same family:

The unbroken chain: biographical sketches and the genealogy of illustrious ...- Page 47
              Neil Rosenstein - Reference - 1990 - 1323 pages

... ion of Jacob Hyam Nathan (1779-1854). His father was the progenitor of a
              large family in England, Australia and New Zealand. See Lawrence D. Nathan, ...
              Snippet view
              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 17-02-10, 21:47.

Comment

Sarah Elizabeth Nathan died in NZ in 1883 aged 55.
                A Hyam Nathan died there in 1885, aged 58, and the NZ archives have a probate file for Hyam Edward Nathan in 1885.

I should think those were Joseph's parents.
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 17-02-10, 21:59.

Comment

Thank you very much Mary. I know what you mean about irritating snippets. There is one that I'll purchase one day which I think concerns one of the four brothers who came to Australia - http://books.google.com.au/books?id=...=morwitch&cd=5
                  Perhaps the pursuit of tantalising information is what intrigues us about our hobby :-)

Comment

Hiya Scott....there is a birth in Ballaratt,Victoria,Australia 15th July 1865 ....a Jane Morwitch....father Lyons Morwitch.....any relation ?..was Lyons one of the 4 brothers ?....if so ....am I missing something here ?....who says Henry and Sophia were married ?....could they have been brother and sister ? hence maybe a siblings dispute in court ...can someone please put me wise as I don`t see the definite saying they were husband and wife.......allan
                    ADDED....also ...
                    Morwitch Sophia died march qtr 1933 reg Brighton 2b 435 aged 91.....wouldn`t the purchase of this cert solve your problem ?.....I`m curious now ....lol,,,,,allan
                    Last edited by garstonite; 18-02-10, 09:56.
                    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

I helped Scott with some of his research (not via here) a while back, the death cert was obtained and I looked up the probate too, & traced Sophia back to her earliest address in Brighton through the Trade Directories at Brighton History Centre. The probate described her as a widow.

Comment

G'day Alan. Jane was the second child of my second great grandfather Lyons Morwitch. Four brothers came to Australia in 1854 - Samuel, Abraham, Henry and Lyons.
                        I believe that Henry and Sophia were married:- From the Jewish Chronicle April 12 1912: " Morwitch – In memory of my dearly beloved husband, Henry Morwitch, late of Queensland and Sydney, who passed away on April 10th, 1907. One of the best and ever in my thoughts – Sophia". Also Sophia is named as Henry's wife in an 1866 newspaper court report here in Brisbane. Sadly Alan, the death cert doesn't give more than Sophia's married name - Morwitch.
                        Thanks for your thoughts though - they made me think hard instead of just accepting what I thought I knew :-)
                        Scott

Comment

How are you Jill ??
                          I finally got it together, and purchased the will :-)
                          I'm still coming to terms with the wonderful community of Genies - Thank you for your early help Jill, and thank you everybody for your help, thoughts and suggestions.
                          Scott

Comment

Hi Scott, I'm well thanks, let me know if you need any more ferreting in Brighton

Comment

I certainly will Jill - thank you;)
                              Scott

Comment

Hi Scott - when was Sophia's will signed? - just thinking about Mrs Anne Banbury in Kilburn - if she was Sophia's niece, then presume Anne might have been in her late 50's-mid 60's in around 1933-35 - I wonder if looking at Ann/Anne's who married a Banbury, might give some clues.

Comment

G'day Naomi. Sophia's will was signed October 1932. I've just begun an excercise to try and pin down Sophia's maiden name from the list of Nieces and Nephews. All 6 of the nieces and nephews must be Sophia's - The only one of Henry's brothers to have children was Lyons, and I have accounted for all of them.

The "Family legend" speaks of a huge and final row between the brothers - you know the sort - "We don't speak to that side of the family". Henry was well off, and he buried his brother Samuel in Sydney with a fine headstone. The other two brothers have no headstones, nor do Lyons' wife or the children that did not survive long.....

It must have been a good "blue"............

Scott

Comment

Working...
                                  X