Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would you register a Birth with no First name ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would you register a Birth with no First name ?

I am looking for a Birth for a Jane Woolveridge in abt 1863 the only one I can find is for a Female Woolveridge , why would anybody register a Birth this way ??? Surely they could think of a name ??

Could it possibly be that they can't read the name?
    Jen

Comment

It often indicates a child who dies soon after birth. However I do have a certificate 'female' for someone who went on to have a name and live to adulthood. Perhaps the travelling registrar was keen to get them done and they just didn't want to rush the decision!

Anne

Comment

My GG Grandmother was registered as Female. Made it hard to find her parents especially as they were in Ireland.

Perhaps they hadn't decided on the name.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

thanks all, she didn't die ,just seems odd to have 9 months and not decide on a name .

Comment

There was also a superstition about naming a child before the child had been baptised, so possibly in some cases this was the reason.

OC

Comment

thanks OC I cant find a baptism for her either ???????? pesky family

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                thanks all, she didn't die ,just seems odd to have 9 months and not decide on a name .
                Why 9 months?

Even today with all the modern tests and technology some women still carry their babies almost until birth without realising they are pregnant.

Aside from that the couple might have been convinced they were going to have a boy.

Perhaps only the husband or the wife was at home when the registrar called and he/she was not sure of the “finally decided” name.

Perhaps it was the “occupier of the house” rather than the mother or father who gave the registrar the information.

Perhaps they had more urgent concerns just getting by than to even think about names.

Perhaps they had had a number of miscarriages or still-births and did not want to tempt fate.

Perhaps the registrar forgot to record the forename.

There could be a number of reasons and unless the reason has been recorded we cannot know almost 150 years later.
                We can’t even make an educated guess. :(
                Cheers
                Guy
                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Took me a long time to find a great aunt as she only had female on her certificate!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    There was also a superstition about naming a child before the child had been baptised, so possibly in some cases this was the reason.

OC
                    Never knew that , but explains why I have seen "female " 0 on a census...I presumed she was born that day...now I understand.thankyou...allan
                    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

thanks Guy yes suppose I was presuming a bit much, just that we had picked a name for ours before I even got pregnant LOL

Comment

Lucky you Val! I had my daughter in the days when there was no test for what baby was before birth, ie no scans and poor girl remained nameless for the full six weeks because my OH and I were totally opposed to the names we both chose:(. The final day arrived and we had to register or pay a fine, so a compromise was agreed!

Janet

Comment

Oh Janet we didn't know what we were having ,we just assumed we would have 4 girls so only had a girls named picked.
                          Lucky it was a Girl eh ?
                          And I hope the compromise was your choice ???????????lol

Comment

The first name was my choice and the second name was the compromise and said daughter has had her revenge by naming her daughter's second name with name daughter should have had if I had had my way!!

Janet

Comment

Working...
                            X