Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian records?

Hi
    I''ve been looking for two family members for a long time nowand I've just found them. I have them going to Auss on the unassisted passenger lists. I would like to trace them further but know nothing about the Aussie records where to look etc.
    Can some point me in the right direction please.
    GWEN

You may have problems unless you have the world or Australian version of Ancestry.

The research guide I linked to shows you where to find BMDs (each State keeps its own records), military and convict records, but if you want electoral rolls or convict passenger lists you'll need the full version of Ancestry (so post anything you can't find on this thread).

Comment

Thanks for you help Mary I bought some units to view the passengers lists but that is as far as I've got I do not have world wide cover on Ancestry but they do not have a lot of Auss records by the look of it. Not seen Electoral rolls yet but will look as I have some units left.
      Not sure where to start both of the men were born here but went to Auss on 25 Nov 1852, on the ship Eveline, Henry George Burwash born on 6/10/1832 and his brother
      Alfred Burwash born 24 /09/1827. Their destination was Port Phillip Bay I am not even sure what part that comes under I think it might be victoria but just researching that.
      I will have to look at the site you gave me in a mo have to pick hubby up from Station.
      Thanks again.
      GWEN

Comment

Port Philip is the old name for Melbourne (Victoria).

The Victoria BMD site is searchable free; you can find out quite a bit with the free search, but you'll need to buy credits to get full details.

Comment

Gwen................keep in mind that just because they went to Melbourne, they may not have stayed there long.

Nearly all mine either came here via Melbourne, Brisbane or Rockhampton and yet, all the Melbourne ones were either in Sydney or Brisbane within a very short time.

Put the names up and let us have a go.

ALSO...........................Google. Australia's Google is Google.com.au and you can search just Australia. You will get more hits than searching worldwide.

Comment

Can't see Alfred or Henry on the electoral rolls; however, there are no online electoral rolls for Victoria between 1856 and 1903, for NSW before 1930, or for Queensland and Western Australia before 1903 (to name the most likely destinations). They may not have been entitled to vote in 1856 (there was a property qualification in those days), and may well have died before 1903.

As Libby says, they may well have moved to another State from the one where they disembarked - many of mine did the same.

Comment

Oh dear - a Henry Burwash was killed in a very nasty mine accident in Sandhurst, Victoria, in 1887:

An accident occurred in the New Chum Railway Company a mine to-day, by which a tributer named Henry Burwash was killed and another man was also hurt, The men had fired ...

Not enough detail to know if this was your man. There's a matching death for a Henry Burwash in the Victoria BMD index; adding the middle name George brings up no hits, but there seems to be no other death there for a Henry Burwash, so it may be your man. I should think it's worth shelling out AUS $0.99 to see the full results.

Comment

Hi again been so engrossed in searching the records yes I found the two Henrys and down loaded a copy of the death certs one is certainly mine. I am wondering who the other henry is.. I cannot read the some of it very will keep looking so I can work a bit more out. I could email a copy to someone if they did not mind to see if you can read more than me its a pdf file. His brother Edward was mentioned on his death record he must have returned home after Henry death as I have him marrying and living in England. Brother Alfred went out there in 1857 5 years after and found no trace of him yet.
                GWEN

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                  Oh dear - a Henry Burwash was killed in a very nasty mine accident in Sandhurst, Victoria, in 1887:

An accident occurred in the New Chum Railway Company a mine to-day, by which a tributer named Henry Burwash was killed and another man was also hurt, The men had fired ...

Not enough detail to know if this was your man. There's a matching death for a Henry Burwash in the Victoria BMD index; adding the middle name George brings up no hits, but there seems to be no other death there for a Henry Burwash, so it may be your man. I should think it's worth shelling out AUS $0.99 to see the full results.
                  Thanks for that Mary but I do not think this is my Henry now I want to know who he is lol I downloaded his death cert could not read a lot of it but no mention of wife or parents. I found my Henry and sadly he died not even a complete year after he arrived out there.
                  GWEN

Comment

I'll have a look at the death cert if you like. I'll PM you my e-mail address.

Comment

Hi Gwen,

I've e-mailed the transcription - let me know if it doesn't arrive safely.

His parents are named, but no wife.

How awful; a few entries down from Henry, there's a baby who died of "teething".

Comment

Thanks received gratefully. Yes I noticed the young baby it must have been awful I wonder if Henrys death was connected with the dust that must get into your lungs when you are gold digging. Health and Safety did not exist then!!!
                        GWEN

Comment

No problem, you're very welcome.

Yes, I wondered if the dust was a problem - I thought diseases like silicosis took longer to develop, but I'm no expert. I suppose it could even have been some kind of allergy.

Comment

Lots of gold miners died of arsenic poisoning......not sure if that helps, just thought I'd add it....lol

Comment

Found this on the Trove site for a Henry Burwash killed in a mining accident in 1887. It appears in the Argus newspaper of the time.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/arti...enry%20burwash

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny Kate View Post
                                Found this on the Trove site for a Henry Burwash killed in a mining accident in 1887. It appears in the Argus newspaper of the time.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/arti...enry%20burwash
                                Thanks for everyones help and the article you found is a different Henry Burwash. I've been looking for my Henry for a lot of years and now I find two LOL. I would at some point like to see whether he fits in to my family but that will be another story. I want to find Alfred first.
                                Another question about the death cert I applied for I am a little bit confused as to why Henrys brother signed in the column where the register of death should have signed or were things different in Australia. I am going to have to find some time to really read up about Aussie records before I apply for any more certs to see if I will be able to find out enough information to see if they fit into my family.
                                GWEN

Comment

He's signed as Registrar, and no priest attended, so maybe the area was so small that one of the locals was authorised to act as Registrar when the usual one couldn't get there?

There's someone in my tree who lived in a one-horse town in NSW, and his son (a miner) was not only the informant on the death cert, but also the undertaker.

Comment

Gwen they could have been hundreds of miles from the nearest town, so anyone could be undertaker. I've forgotten if you mentioned the place, but lots of mining "towns" sprung up overnight, then left just as quickly when gold/tin/whatever was discovered somewhere else.

Comment

Burwash Australia

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
                                      Hi
                                      I''ve been looking for two family members for a long time nowand I've just found them. I have them going to Auss on the unassisted passenger lists. I would like to trace them further but know nothing about the Aussie records where to look etc.
                                      Can some point me in the right direction please.
                                      Greetings from Australia Gwen,
                                      Have you found your Australian connection yet? Maybe I can help. I am Edna Burwash great great grand daughter of Edward Burwash who arrived in Aus 1852 on the Eveline with brother George Henry. George died of disease on the Bendigo gold fields 8 months later.Death certificate lists parents as David Burwash and Ann Chambers. Edward remained and formed a liason(marriage?) with Elizabeth Groves daughter of a convict woman producing a son Willian Henry born August 1857.We believe Edward returned to England after 1857, leaving Elizabeth and Wm Henry to begin the Burwash family in Australia.Wm Henry is the Henry you have killed in a mining accident 1887. His son Thomas was my grandfather died 1944 in Melborne Victoria Aus. Which line of the family do you belong to?
                                      Please contact me if you would like further info Cheers Edna

I have removed the email address as we do not allow them to be published as they will be picked up by search engines. She has not been on the site lately, but if you send a private message to Gwen she will be notified and I am sure she will be in touch very soon.

Caroline
                                      Last edited by Caroline; 25-07-10, 07:00.

Comment

Working...
                                      X