Ancestry Free Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry Free Trial

Does anyone know if Ancestry have a free trial at the moment thanks for any info.

Bella

I think they have a permanent 14 day free trial offer, but you are required to give them a credit card number when you sign up for it - so if you don't want to take out a subscription at the end of the 14 days then you must remember to cancel.
    Elaine

Comment

Hello Elaine thank you for your reply I will now go and have a look.

Bella

Comment

If you buy Family Tree Maker Platinum 2010 then you get a free 6months Ancestry Subscription included. You may have to enter your credit-card details when you register the product but they should only take the remaining 6mths cost of the subscription out of your bank account after the first free 6mths has expired.

I've ordered FMT2010 from Tesco's using the reward vouchers and it is costing me £15 of vouchers to get a £60 or so product plus the 6mths Ancestry sub free. Though I've heard some people say they don't like the FTM2010 - I'm going to give it a try as I use FTM2005 at the moment and see how I get on.

Claire

Comment

Claire

I had to change from FTM 2005 to 2010 at Christmas (long story )

It takes a bit of getting used to because it looks very different but its growing on me. I imported the 2005 file quite easily and apart from a couple of glitches its all there OK. The only thing it didn't import was the 'To do List'. I think its worth persevering with though
          Jackie

Comment

Nudge
            Margaret N
            DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Hi Night Owl! I met someone on Thursday who pulled a grim face when I said I was getting FTM2010 ! He did not like it as he said it felt totally different and he had to learn everything again so that has worried me a bit and some people have had installation problems but now I've ordered it I'll have to try it! Glad to hear you are getting on ok. Husband works in IT so hopefully he can help me if I find the installation difficult. I've got Windows7 so I'm hoping it will be straight forward.

Thanks!

Claire

Comment

I dont like it either much prefer the old version I have , bit it was worth getting the 6 months free plus I upgraded for another £40 for the year to premium.

Comment

I still think 2006 was the best version. If you are just buying a program for the free 6 months ancestry sub, then get the FTM2009 which is £20 with 6 months ancestry on TWR computing.

Comment

I like 2010 interface more than 2006, as it is more intuative and the linking to Ancestry 'hints' is excellent, but that is all.
                    I HATE the fact that it stores 'media' (photos etc) in a seperate folder on your PC.
                    It makes it very difficult to back-up, as i need to back up the FTM file from one location and the media from another.
                    With 7 trees on the go, this is a nightmare.
                    I HATE the new settings etc for producing charts (though I am getting used to them), as 2006 was more straight forward.
                    Also, the old 'export' of the chart now uses 'share', which I keep forgetting.

But most of all...............................
                    I bought 2010 when there was NO Ancestry offer!!!!!! (Sods law!)

Researching:
                    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I bought FTM 2010 because of the Ancestry deal, it loaded up OK, but it's a horror to work with, I have Roots Magic and when I imported my tree to FTM it stripped a load of stuff out, I tried 4 times all with the same result. I'm going back to my "Roots" a much easier programme to work with and better interface.

Comment

I to, bought the FTM 2010, but I needed to as I had a new laptop that is windows 7, and my FTM 2006 wouldn't work on it, anyway, FTM 2010 is most certainly not a program for a beginner, at least I don't think so, it has loads of features, and it set out so differently from FTM 2006, which I was using before....I think if you perverse, which I had no choice, but to do......it will be good in the end, I am finding features that previous versions didn't have, and I do think the charts are very good and being able to print out reports with a little photo of the person it concerns, is really good.....it does take a lot of getting use to, I must agree.........Lilly

Comment

Heather
                          I just had a look at TWR computing and both 2009 and 2010 say 3 months Ancestry!! I'm now going to have a look on the Tesco site.
                          Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

I hate the new 2010 too I liked the way each family was listed before the stupid little boxes do nothing for me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                              I hate the new 2010 too I liked the way each family was listed before the stupid little boxes do nothing for me at all.
                              Must agree, it does seem hard work. I think it can be very confusing, if you haven't used a FTM program before......definitely not a program for beginners, maybe I might change, when my 6 months ancestry runs out.... as I said before the charts are good, but you have to spend all your time clicking to do anything, and having to think, which is what I don't like doing to often......Lilly

Comment

Grany lynn, scroll down on twr computing, you are looking at the standard 2009, a bit further below it is the 2009 platinum with the 6 months ancestry sub. £19.99

Family Tree Maker 2009 Platinum UK Edition Ref: FTMS9PL
                                Despatch within 1 working day - free postage to anywhere in the World
                                Retail box including the complete full Family Tree Maker 2009 program and 6 months 'Essentials' access to Ancestry.co.uk (no credit card required). Contents :-

* The Family Tree Maker 2009 UK Edition CD
                                * Searching synchronised with ancestry.co.uk
                                * 97 page getting started guide
                                * The Family Tree Maker 2009 Little Book of Answers
                                * Family Tree Maker 2009 UK Training Tutorial
                                * 50% Discount on annual subscription to 'Your Family Tree' Magazine
                                * UK customised timeline and maps and registration
                                * 6 months 'Essentials' access to ancestry.co.uk (no credit card required - everything that you need is in the box). The free period may be activated whenever you choose to activate. If you already have a subscription to ancestry.co.uk you may add the free period to the end of your subscription.

Users of Family Tree Maker versions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 2005, 2006 or 16 (including all versions of Family Tree Maker published by Banner Blue or Broderbund or The Learning Company or Mattel or Genealogy.com or Ancestry.com or Ancestry.co.uk or The Generations Network or GSP or Encore or Mindscape) may import their family files into 2009.

This pack may also be used to upgrade FTM 2008

Please click here for our detailed description and click here for FTM 2009 technical support. Ancestry UK and Australian freephone helplines available. We do not charge cards until we dispatch.

Now supplied with a free Quick Reference Card (normally £1.50). The A4 colour card has short explanations of all the screens in Family Tree Maker 2009 and is a useful guide to many of the program functions for both beginners and experienced genealogists. Please scroll down the page for details

WAS £58.95

Operating System Required - Windows XP/VISTA ...

£19.95

Comment

Genealogy.com has a forum for discussing the use of FTM 2010
                                  Research Family Tree Maker: Usage and How-To Questions in the General forums on Genealogy.com, the new GenForum!

Ancestry 'should' have tutorials, but they do not work at the moment.

Researching:
                                  FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Working...
                                  X