Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing on the 1861 census

Good Afternoon,
    I am having trouble finding a John Bland (mis-transcribed as Brand on 1871) b. circa 1830-1837 Berkshire and Eliza Waite b. circa 1840-1845 Kent/Berkshire on the 1861 census. I have John's parents but not John. According to the 1871 census John and Eliza are not married and Eliza is down as mistress. On the 1871 the children are down as Bland and on the 1881 they are down as Waite! According to the 1871 census their eldest child is Matilda b. circa 1857, Marchwood, Hampshire but I also cannot find her on the 1861. I am thinking (as there can be an age gap of 15 years depending which census your looking at) could the eldest children be from a different relationship and could Eliza have been married before?
    Many Thanks
    Tessie

have you found what name Matilda 1857 was registered as?
    Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
    http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

It looks as if Eliza was reasonably consistent in the replies she gave, just misinterpreted by the enumerator. There is a parish called Kintbury in Berkshire (between Hungerford and Newbury). Her place of birth is reported as
      Kenterberry, Berks in 1901 (Eliza Bland, b 1846, living in Shiplake Oxf)
      Canterbury,Kent in 1891 (Eliza Bland, b 1845, living in Shiplake Oxf)
      Kimberry, Berks in 1881 (Eliza Waite, b 1842, living in Rotherfield Peppiard Oxf)
      Kembry, Berks in 1871 (Eliza Brand, b 1841, living in Rotherfield Peppiard Oxf)
      Unfortuntely the Kintbury 1841 census return is, in parts, too faint to read and there is more than one Eliza with no surname decipherable.

I see that in 1871, the children (from Matilda down to the yougest) were stated to have been born in:
      Hampshire, Marchwood
      Not known
      Berkshire, Sutton
      Berkshire Swindon
      Oxfordshire, Peppiard
      Oxfordshire, Peppiard

Since they have settled in a tent in Rotherfield Peppiard in 1871 and 1881, and John is listed as a traveller and hawker in 1871, with this frequency of moving indicated by the place of birth of the children, there is a high chance that they were not recorded in 1861.

Do you know whether any of the children were either baptised or registered at birth?

Comment

Catherine, Ernest and Arthur appear to have been registered with the surname Waite, in the Henley district. The birth certificate should tell you Eliza's maiden name:
        C W Sep qtr 1872
        E W Dec qtr 1874
        A W Jun qtr 1879 (but note a bit of a gap between Ernest and Arthur, so there is a chance that Arthur is a grandson)

Comment

remember there are a number of parishes missing from the 1861 census for Oxfordshire ,see
          With this handy guide, find out when each key UK census was taken, when the next census will be released, and much more...
          Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

Oh thanks guys! Didn't realise there were some parishes missing for oxfordshire! In reply to Matilda and what she was registered as I don't know as I can only see one and that is registered in Wiltshire under Waite. I shall look on the IGI for any baptisms. I am going to send off for one of the birth certs (Catherines I think) and look at your link Mike!
            Many Thanks

Tessie

Comment

The parishes missing from Oxfordshire on the 1861 are the other end of the county to where they lived on the other census'. Rotherfield Peppard and Shiplake are practically next door to each other! I will see what info. I get from the birth cert.!
              Tessie

Comment

I wonder if Matilda's mother's maiden name is Reed? Or whether her mother was previously married to a Mr Reed?

Looking for Patience's marriage, there is one for Patience Bland in the Henley district to Andrew Wright Waymark, although the only likely couple in 1881 are Andrew and Patience Mooren in Rotherfield Peppard

Then looking for Matilda's marriage, there is a marriage in the Henley district in 1875 between Matilda Reed Bland and Henry Wright W Moren (in this case, the other couple, Thomas E Knowles and Martha Davis, can be found on the 1881 census)

(I see that they called one of their daughters Freedom - it sounds as if they were enjoying their way of life)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fisher View Post
                  remember there are a number of parishes missing from the 1861 census for Oxfordshire ,see
                  http://www.findmypast.co.uk/helpadvi...nsus/index.jsp
                  Thank you for this link, Mike.

I have added it to our page about The Census in our Reference Library: Research Guides.

Caroline
                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks Moulting Owl, that looks likely. I have sent off for the birth cert. so fingers crossed this mystery can be solved!

Comment

I came home on my lunch break and have just got the birth cert. this morning for Catherine. There is NO father and it simply says Mother: Eliza Waite. Is it worth getting one of the later childrens birth certs. to see what it says for the mother then?

Tessie

Comment

Sorry to say no , what your certificate says is that the father is unamed and anything else is pure guesswork so that is where your male line finishes on that branch. It means that the father was not present and prepared to be named on the certificate.
                        Last edited by Mike Fisher; 20-02-10, 10:28.
                        Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

If the woman marries the unamed father the child becomes legitimate but the couple have to get the birth certificate altered at the local register office, this then appears as a new entry in the GRO index the new year and quarter and an "copy" at the GRO(the GRO has two certificates for the same event).
                          Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

Working...
                          X