Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to Find a Marriage

Hi
    My maternal G/Gfather Joseph Hardman was born in 1851, son of John & Hannah Hardman and appears on the 1851 Census as being 3ms old.
    Working back I found John & Hannah on the 1841 Census with two children Alice Partington 5 and James Hardman 1. By 1861 Alice is now a" Hardman". From this I am assuming that Hannah for what ever reason, brought Alice into the marriage, and was adopted by John by 1861.
    No promlem here until I try to find John and Hannah's marriage. I can't! and I am trying to find out who John's parents were. As James was only 1 in 1841, surely there should be a recorded wedding somewhere between 1837 - 1840, but I can't find one. have tried GRO. Freebmd, Lancsbmd. LDS family search.
    Can anyone surgest another move, where I'm going wrong or another place to look?
    Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Perhaps Mr Partington hadn't died, and they didn't marry at all - or not until much later.

I had a look here, I couldn't spot anything easily: http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
    With a direct interest, you may be more determined than I!

Formal adoption didn't exist in the sense that it is known now. Children often used the surname of the stepfather, but resumed their original surname at adulthood, and married under their original surname.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

they could've always married later, if hannah wasnt able to get married at that time for whatever reason.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

have you got joseph's birth cert? that will help immensly. alice may have been illegitimate as well, or they had her and married later as suggested above.

Comment

I had a problem finding the birth of someone c. 1882.
          She first showed in Wales in 1891 census, was working in 1901 then disappeared again, so no beginning or end.

It turned out , I think, ( awaiting arrival of cert) that she was the illegitimate daughter of her father and it was HE who brought her to the marriage, when he married someone else when Florence was about 3. I found a birth registration in her mother's surname and it was this surname Florence used when she married, even though she is shown with her father's surname and his daughter in 1891 and used his surname when she worked away from home in 1901.
          It took some sorting, as I had been hunting for her under her stepmother's maiden name,

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            have you got joseph's birth cert? that will help immensly. alice may have been illegitimate as well, or they had her and married later as suggested above.
            Like Kyle has said, do you have Josephs B/cert? this would at least confirm parentage, (this is of course IF he was registered, as registration didnt really get enforced until 1875 ) failing that it will be a case of looking in the parish records, to see if there are any Hardmans/Partingtons and try and track them that way, the childrens baptisms would be the place to start with as then they would confirm/deny parentage.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
            X