Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farthinghoe, Northamptonshire

Hello
    My name is Gordon and I am researching any information I can about my great grandparents, Robert French, and Sarah Ann French (nee Taylor) My Grandfather, George Frederick French was born in Farthinghoe in 1874 And his father Robert is shown on the birth certificate as a Brewer. They were certainly in Farthinghoe in 1871 when their eldest child Eliza was born. I know that Sarah Ann Taylor was born in Broughton, Northants in 1852, but I do not know when Robert French was born. between 1874 and 1877 the family moved to Birmingham. Robert died in 1880 whilst he was landlord of The Rose and Crown in Hingeston Street, Birmingham. I can find no reference to him on any census, or Birth or Marriage records.If anyone can help me I will be very grateful
    Regards
    Gordon

Welcome to FTF, Gordon.

When you say that you've looked in the censuses already, does that mean that you looked for him with the name in full, or did you try any "less-is-more" tricks with missing information, or wildcards in the name?

The same kind of question should be asked of your BMD searches.

Have you had a look to see whether there's anything which could be gained by joining a Northants family history group of some kind?

There may be some useful relevant links for you to try out in our Wiki, as well.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Look like they got married in 1873 in Birmingham

Marriages Dec 1873
      French Robert Birmingham 6d 313
      Gibbs Rebekah Birmingham 6d 313
      PHILLIPS John Birmingham 6d 313
      TAYLOR Sarah Ann Birmingham 6d 313

mm

Comment

Sarah in 1871, with her parents, and a newly born Eliza H Taylor(granddaughter)

RG10; Piece: 1469; Folio: 57; Page: 10;

mm

Comment

Do you have Robert's death certificate? His age would narrow down which Robert French it might be.
          I guess its the one aged 40 in Birmingham?
          Anne

Edit to say - Having had a look around I think Marymog is spot on with her suggestions. It looks like Eliza was actually born before the marriage. In fact it is quite likely that Robert is not her father. She has an interesting name .... Eliza Herodias Taylor, Brackley 3b 10, Sep 1870.
          Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 11-02-10, 21:10.

Comment

Thanks for your help in researching this. The herodias in Eliza's name was from her maternal grandmother who died in 1868. As you say it is quite possible that Robert French was not her father. I have traced Robert French to the 1851 census when he was about 11, however I cannot find anything about him in 1861 0r 1871. I have a copy of my grandfather's birth certificate,which shows he was born 28th Febr 1874 in Farthinghoe. His father is shown as Robert French (Brewer) and Sarah Anne French. I understand that they were married in 1873. by 1877 they were living in Birmingham, where their next child, Daisy May was born. It would be helpful to find out if Robert was in the pub trade when he went to Birmingham, as he certainly was at the time of his death in 1880. Any help you can give me regarding the period after 1851 to his death in 1880 will be very much appreciated.
            Gordon

Comment

Hi Gordon,

Where was Robert in 1851, can you put up the census details.

mm

Comment

Hello Gordon - This may be useful re; the brewer/pub landlord side of things

Comment

Thanks for your help.
                  1851 Census shows family living at Aldwinkle St. Peter in Northamptonshire. The family were: George 36 Ag. Labourer. Mary 38 Wife. children: Willm(William) 19 Ag Labourer; John 16 Ag Labourer;Sarah 15, George 13; ROBERT 10; Mary A 6; Esther 4; Mary 4 months. Also shown is Edmund widowed 67 born about 1784 at Achurch, Northamptonshire. In 1841 Edmund was shown as the Head with Sarah, his wife, aged 65, but Edmund is shown as 75 born about 1776, so there is a bit of a discrepancy. \\\The interesting bit is that Edmund's occupation is shown as Maltster, which maybe where Robert's Brewing occupation came from. Thanks again for the info, and thanks for troubling to help
                  Gordon

Comment

How do you know this is him?? are you sure his parents were George and Mary?

there is an alternative

Robt French
                    born abt 1840 Kingsutton, Northamptonshire, living in Newbottle, father James mother Ann

because in 1871 he was living with his aunty Mary,
                    in Birmingham working as a Carter (could have been a brewers carter,you know they type of cart with loads of barrels on the back, and two horses)

Joseph Sheldon 58 (Aston Warw.)
                    Mary Sheldon 54 (Kings Sutton, Northamptonshire)
                    Richard Kempson 24 son in law
                    Caroline Kempson 23 (nee Sheldon)
                    Henry Sheldon 19 son
                    Joseph Sheldon 10 son
                    Beatrice Kempson 3 grandchild
                    Florence C Kempson 1 grandchild
                    Robert French 28 (abt 1843) nephew (Kings Sutton, Northamptonshire)

mm
                    Last edited by marymog; 12-02-10, 10:55.

Comment

the Sheldons in 1861

Mary Shedden abt 1818 King Sutton,
                      Joseph Shedden abt 1819 Aston, Warwickshire
                      Robert Shedden abt 1838 King Sutton,
                      Jane Shedden abt 1842 King Sutton,
                      Caroline Shedden abt 1847 Bamburgh, Oxfordshire,
                      Henry Shedden abt 1853 Bamburgh, Oxfordshire,
                      Agnes Shedden abt 1858 Birmingham,
                      Joseph Shedden abt 1861 Birmingham,

and in1861 the other Robert

in 1861 Robert French (abt 1843) comes from Aldwinkle, Northamptonshire working as a Servant in Brington, Huntingdonshire

mm
                      Last edited by marymog; 12-02-10, 10:56.

Comment

I think in order to sort it out, you will need the marriage cert, to see just who the father is. You have two candidates

George/Mary.........James/Ann

mm

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I am going to get a marriage certificate for Robert French/ Sarah Ann Taylor who were married in Birmingham 1873. I have just realised that as my grandfather was born 28th Feb. 1874, Robert French may not even be his father either. As Robert French was landlord of pub in Hingeston Street, Hockley, Birmingham in 1880 prior to his death, I have also written to Birmingham Council to see if he was buried in the local cemetery which is just down the road from where he would have lived. If I find out any more I will let you know. Many thanks again.
                          Gordon

Comment

Thats exciting for you, maybe it was a shotgun wedding!! Cant really imagine a man marrying with a pregnant woman unless the kiddy was his own. let me know, who his dad was, an interesting family.
                            mm

Comment

I have received the death ceertificates for Robert French and Sarah Ann Taylor this morning. however, neither of them gives any details of parents. Robert French died 8th June 1880, and he was 40. Sarah Ann Worsey (nee Taylor) died 20th August 1900. She was 49. I will have to write to The Northants Register office for copies of their birth certificates, to try to get information about their parents. Just thought I would bring you up to date on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodrogw View Post
                                T<... snip ...> I have also written to Birmingham Council to see if he was buried in the local cemetery which is just down the road from where he would have lived. If I find out any more I will let you know. Many thanks again.
                                Gordon
                                This page doesn't seem to be working at the moment, but there's a searchable cemetery database for the Birmingham area. I don't know how complete it is.

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                X