New Life in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Life in Canada

Does anyone know how complete the immigration/emmigration records are on Ancestry.co.uk?

Having had help from some lovely people on here with lookups on worldwide records I finally splurged and went for WW access myself. If I can help others now with lookups, I am happy to do so.

I did not really expect to find any of my lot overseas as I suspected they travelled little beyond Oldham. HOWEVER! I was really excited to find that my GG Granddad Samuel Goostry with his wife Jemima and children, John James (my Granddad), Francis, Clara and Tom set sail on the SS Brooklyn for Quebec in September 1881. I had them on the 1881 census in Oldham and in Oldham for the 1891 census so thought I had the picture of their lives. How wrong I was!

They arrived in Quebec and headed for Dundas, Wentworth, Ontario. Here in November 1881 sadly, little Tom died aged just 13 months and is buried in Wentworth. He was 1 of twins and his twin sister died at birth. It had been puzzling me that I had been unable to find any record of Tom after the 1881 census when he was 10 mths old. I began to feel so sad for the family. I then found that in March of 1882 Jemima gave birth to a stillborn girl. It seemed their new life in Canada was not so rosy.

By 1891 they were back in England and John James had married in 1886 in England. So, between March 1882 and 1886 they returned but I can find no record of their return and it is driving me nuts.

Are there any other possible sources of info that any of you could suggest? Also, how would I apply for a copy of Tom's death certificate from Canada?

I have had similar problems with family of a friend who I am helping her research. There is a record of them going out to the USA and I know they came back but can find no record. Is this quite common or am I being unlucky?

if they came back via Liverpool they may be on this site ...records from 1879 to 1912....although if they were English they may not be considered as "Aliens"...good luck

allan
    ADDED....sorry ...just checked and these people are only those appling for naturaliation....so they won`t be on it....sorry to lead you astray....allan
    Last edited by garstonite; 11-02-10, 07:31.
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thanks anyway :-)

Comment

UK Incoming Passenger Lists on Ancestry go from 1878-1960. However, it says:

The passenger lists date from 1878 to 1888 and 1890 to 1960. However, many of the pre-1890 lists were irregularly destroyed by the Board of Trade in 1900. Therefore, there are not many lists included in this database that date from these earlier years.

Comment

Interesting and thank you. Sadly, it looks as though the relevant records may have been destroyed. As they were a whole family it is not like one individual who slipped though the net. I have tried all variations I can think of of spelling the name as it is unusal and over the years I have had so many variations.

Frustrating! It would have been nice to find closure on that episode of their life. The more I think about it, the more impressed I am that they did it at all. It must have been quite something in those days to up sticks with your family and go so far afield. I suspect it cost a fair bit too? Sam was an iron turner so I guess he could find work anywhere industrial.

Never mind .... at least i know a lot more about my family than I did and feel very proud of them for their efforts and determination.

Comment

Working...
          X