Hillicks help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillicks help needed

Hi tracing another branch of my tree and have got stuck.

Trying to trace some more information on William Hillicks. I have him on the 1871 census in Govan in Partick in Glasgow. On 10/10/1871 he marries a Bessy Kerr but she must die early because in 1876 he marries a Jane Stevenson. I have him on the 1881 census and 1891 census and 1901 census and his death is recorded as 2/11/1920 aged 79. I therefore place his birth at circa 1840. His parents are listed as James Hillicks and Ann Matthews.

However the trail dies as I cannot find him on the 1861 census, 1851 census or 1841 census or a record of his birth. His second wife Jane Stevenson's birth is listed as Ireland in the various censuses and William's birth place is given as Greenock Renfrewshire.

Can anyone help me. It is an unusual name mostly listed as Hillicks apart from 1891 when listed as Hillocks. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the family came from Ireland. I cannot find his parents on the earlier censuses.

Thanks

Steven

Hi Steven - wonder if these can help -
    Registration Office
    40 West Stewart Street
    Greenock PA15 1YA
    Tel: (01475) 714250 Fax: (01475) 714253
    also http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/RFW/#Census and http://www.scotlandgenweb.org/news.php and
    http://www.renfrewshirefhs.co.uk/ and http://www.gwsfhs.org.uk/
    Last edited by naomiatt; 10-02-10, 21:30.

Comment

Thanks Naomi will check out the information.

Steven

Comment

Have you had a look in our 'new look' reference library? to see if there are any resources there to help you?

Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

on the 1891/1901 he gives his DOB as 1848, is that tree on ancestry yours Steve?
          Julie

Comment

tree: http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/807...on/-1001475553
            Julie

Comment

Williams mum Rose has remarried by 1861 to a John Quail.. perhaps getting one of the childrens b/certs would help?

Source Citation: Parish: Paisley Abbey; ED: 5; Page: 33; Line: 19; Roll CSSCT1861_74; Year: 1861.
              Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie unfortunately I do not have access to Ancestry so cannot see the link you sent me.

Re William's parents according to his death certificate his parents were listed as James Hillicks and Ann Matthews. I cannot find their marriage. The earliest census I can find William on is 1871 but he is not with his parents but aged 20 and living as lodger in Partick in the Parish of Govan. Is is like they do not exist in Scotland prior to this date. I have located William's first marriage in 1871 to a Bessy Keir(Kerr) and then in 1876 his second marriage to Jane Stevenson who place of birth is given as Ireland. Going through the Old Parish records listed in Scotlands People there are simply no Hillicks. I am beginning to think they may have come from England or Ireland. Tricky one this branch.

Steven

Comment

Hi - on FreeBMD the only Hillicks with that exact spelling is;
                  Deaths Dec 1882
                  Hillicks Mary 45 Chorlton 8c 534
                  but more with Hillick (no S) -
                  Births Sep 1837
                  Hillick Harry Horsham 7 250

Deaths Mar 1858
                  Hillick Elizabeth St George S 1d 102

Deaths Sep 1860
                  Hillick William Colchester 4a 125

Marriages Sep 1873
                  HILLICK Maria Dartford 2a 585

Marriages Sep 1892
                  Hillick Jane Dudley 6c 130

Marriages Mar 1894
                  Hillick Alice St. Geo. H. Sq. 1a 642

Births Mar 1902 Hillick Margaret S. Shields 10a 942

Marriages Sep 1903
                  Hillick William Brentford 3a 325 There are more after 1903...

Comment

Thanks Naomi looks like Ireland might be most plausable place. Earliest name I can find is William's father James but in William's first marriage in 1871 both parents are listed as deceased. Looks like the end of the road I am afraid

Thanks for all your help

Steven

Comment

Hi Steven - Have you tried records for Ireland? e.g http://www.genealogylinks.net/uk/ireland/ and

Comment

Hi Naomi will give it a go, thanks. Looks very much like there is an Irish link to the Hillicks

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                          Thanks Julie unfortunately I do not have access to Ancestry so cannot see the link you sent me.

Re William's parents according to his death certificate his parents were listed as James Hillicks and Ann Matthews. I cannot find their marriage. The earliest census I can find William on is 1871 but he is not with his parents but aged 20 and living as lodger in Partick in the Parish of Govan. Is is like they do not exist in Scotland prior to this date. I have located William's first marriage in 1871 to a Bessy Keir(Kerr) and then in 1876 his second marriage to Jane Stevenson who place of birth is given as Ireland. Going through the Old Parish records listed in Scotlands People there are simply no Hillicks. I am beginning to think they may have come from England or Ireland. Tricky one this branch.

Steven
                          According to the tree on ancestry, Williams father was James William Hillocks 1823-1861 in Johnstone, Renfrewshire, Scotland and Mother was Rose Ann Mathews 1826-1871 in Johnstone, Renfrewshire, Scotland.

I wonder if part of the problem is that William is so hard to find, makes me wonder IF he has got the same name as his father, James William???
                          Julie

Comment

Julie those details you have noted must be William's parents as I know his father was James and I had his mother as Ann Matthews and you have it as Rose Ann Mathews. Must be the same parents but she has simply shortened her name to Ann. What I now need to concentrate on is finding James and Rose Ann or Ann's death certificates as this will give me both their parents names.

Steven

Comment

Hang on Steve, I'll have a look to see if it gives any specifics for you.
                              Julie

Comment

no definate place of death for JWH and gives a rough date of 1852-1861, and Rose Ann marries again to a John Quail and on the 1861 census Living in Houston Square with 2nd husband and children from 1st marriage.

info below from personal tree on ancestry.

Details: Children of James/Rose Ann

Catherine Hillocks 1843
                                James Hillocks 1844
                                William Hillocks 1850
                                Susan Hillocks 1850
                                John Hillocks 1850
                                Mary Hillocks 1852
                                Stewart Hillocks 1852

NB this is info from the Ancestry site, and not the census, I will have a look and see what it says

Rose Ann Quail death, 30 Aug 1871 in Johnstone, Renfrewshire, Scotland (from site)
                                Last edited by Darksecretz; 13-02-10, 19:57.
                                Julie

Comment

1861 cens Source Citation: Parish: Paisley Abbey; ED: 5; Page: 33; Line: 25; Roll CSSCT1861_74; Year: 1861.

John Quail 40
                                  Rosan Quail 35
                                  Jane Hillicks 16 Johnstone, Renfrewshire (this should be JAMES) has been mistranscribed states SON on transc
                                  Catherine Hillicks 18
                                  Mary Hillicks 9
                                  Stwart Hillicks 9
                                  John Simet 34 lodger from ireland
                                  Jane C Harra 40 lodger from ireland
                                  Julie

Comment

i'd say more an more now that his full name would be James William Hillicks oh as a side note have you tried Hillichs? as a spelling?
                                    Last edited by Darksecretz; 13-02-10, 20:01.
                                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                                      Re William's parents according to his death certificate his parents were listed as James Hillicks and Ann Matthews. I cannot find their marriage. The earliest census I can find William on is 1871 but he is not with his parents but aged 20 and living as lodger in Partick in the Parish of Govan. Is is like they do not exist in Scotland prior to this date. I have located William's first marriage in 1871 to a Bessy Keir(Kerr) and then in 1876 his second marriage to Jane Stevenson who place of birth is given as Ireland. Going through the Old Parish records listed in Scotlands People there are simply no Hillicks. I am beginning to think they may have come from England or Ireland.
                                      If a pre-1855 event didn't take place in a Church of Scotland it won't appear in the Old Parochial Records (though I believe some RC records are now appearing).
                                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks very much Julie will have a look through all of this but very much appreciated.

Uncle John will keep trying Scotlands People for new releases.

Thanks

Steven

Comment

Working...
                                        X