X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help find out what happened to my great grandfather

He's on the 1901 Census

James Andrews age 47 b Oldham occupation Clogger
    at 34 Ashworth St, Burnley with wife Ann 42 b Ireland and baby son James.

and that's the last I can find of him.

Another family were living at that address in October 1901. (single occupancy in 1901 census).

His date of birth is 4/8/1853 in Oldham and his occupation 1881 and 1901 is a clogger
    1891 Iron turner.

In 1911 Wife and son are living at 32 Garden Lane, Salford. She says she's been married 16 years (not found) and still married but I cannot find him anywhere on the 1911 census.

Have looked for deaths and yet another dud death certificate arrived this morning.

1904 Prestwick
    1908 Salford
    1911 Warrington

So can anyone help find him please?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

I'm not good on thoses areas but what about James Andrews
    1852-1909
    June
    Chorlton Lancashire
    8C

Comment

wonder if this is the marriage
      James Andrews and Annie Higgins
      Dec 1894 Wigan
      8C

Comment

as I said dont know about these areas but
        James Andrews and Annie Logg
        S Shields
        Jun 1897
        10a

Comment

Think the Chorlton death was one the registrars didn't send as it didn't fit - will have to check.

We think that they didn't marry as she gives her maiden name as Norman on the baby's birth certificate. Haven't been able to find a christening in Burnley or Salford which might have helped.

There is an Ann(ie) Bresland whose age and country of birth fit ie Ireland who married a Frank Norman b Oadby Leics at St Andrews C of E Church, Ashton on Ribble in 1891. However by 1901 Census he's living with a Sarah Ashby as Frank Ashby and has a 3 year old son Frank registered as Frank Norman. In 1906 Frank marries Sarah (his father Elisha on both marriage certificates) and died in 1908. 1911 census Sarah is now the widow Sarah Norman with Frank Norman jnr. Think its too much of a coincidence not to be him.

Think Annie Higgins is another the registrar didn't send. Hadn't considered Annie Logg though - worth a look.

Think that as she was still married she couldn't marry James. Wish I could find his death. The 1911 census doesn't throw up anyone born in Oldham c1853 - have looked at most of the transcriptions and nothing jumps out.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I could not find him in 1911 tried all variations I could think of sorry

Comment

Thanks Val - I'm presuming he must have died - tut tut presuming - so am looking for all likely deaths. However he might have gone to Scotland or Ireland even - but won't get Scotland's 1911 for another year or so.

Comment

have you tried the 1911 census for Ireland ??? I assume you have this link http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Comment

have you discounted this death JBee?

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...indiv=1&nreg=1

I realise that it does say 1913 but that would tie in with her still being married, on the 1911 wouldnt it?
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Val and Julie.

Have looked at the Irish census and none appear feasible.

The death in Oldham looks like the James Andrew who is on the 1911 census with his brother Lewis living at Ashton under Lyne - which would come under Oldham for registration.

I've gone through the 1911 Census for likely looking Andrew or Andrews without success.

Comment

oh poop!! back to the drawing board then....
                      Julie

Comment

by just putting in his name and 1853 +/- 5 yrs on 1911 there are a few James Andrews that are on page 3, from bolton and others from lancs/cheshire, it brings up altogether 108 results, but these like I say are on page 3. near the bottom. (but I guess you have probably seen these)
                        Julie

Comment

I've looked at the transcription of about 30 possible ones so far - no result. It's one of those that has vanished.

Comment

Working...
                          X