Lookup help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lookup help please

hi im looking for peter watson living at 1 regent road,leicestershire, 1904.can someone help me with a census.
    i beleive this is the father of my uncle colin lennox....he was brought up by my grandad but i have hs birth certificate and my nannie was his mum marie louise dunnett but peter was his father on his birth certificate.born 1904 in south leicestershire. peter was down as working as a wool gardener whatever that was?many thanks brenda xxx

Hi Bren,

I think your query needs to be moved to the research Q&A board, because you don't have enough information for a look-up at the Record Office.

I've drawn a complete blank; there's no Peter Watson either born or living in Leicestershire on the 1901 or 1911 census, and nobody of that name buried in the main cemetery in Leicester (Welford Road).

There's no such thing as a wool gardener - can you scan and post the relevant part of the cert?

I'm a bit puzzled about the addresses; was Colin born at 1 Regent Road, or is that where Peter was living, or both? Not sure where South Leicestershire comes in (according to FreeBMD, Colin was born in Leicester).
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-02-10, 08:41.

Comment

this is colin,s birth cert with his father an profession i cant enlarge it i dont know how.thankyou brenda xxxjust read fathers address .it was nannies address i regent road,his was 30 new..... street,liecester,any chance of census from both addresses please.my nannie has added elizabeth dont know why not on her birth cert,or death.brenda xxx
      Last edited by Guest; 10-02-10, 09:36.

Comment

I wondered if 1 Regent Road was the addresss of the Regent Road Maternity Hospital, where I was born
        I've just checked my birth certificate, but it just says Regent Road, with no number.

Peter's address is 30 Newtown Street, Leicester, and his occupation is "wool carder".

There's no Peter Watson born or living in Leicestershire showing on the 1901 or 1911 census at all, and no Peter Watson anywhere in England on the 1901 census with the occupation "wool carder". Perhaps someone could do an address search of the 1911 census for you.

You can do an address search of the 1901 census here:

Trace your ancestry and build a family tree by researching extensive birth records, census data, obituaries and more - over 5 billion records - start today!

but you have to buy credits.

Where were Marie and Colin in 1911?
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-02-10, 10:21.

Comment

By the way, in case you hadn't noticed, Colin's birth is indexed under both surnames:

Births Sep 1904
          DUNNETT Colin Lennox Leicester 7a 288
          WATSON Colin Lennox Leicester 7a 288

Comment

yes nannie had colin to this man before she married my grandad.i googled the address and there is a hospitalthere.my nannie is in a kilt and i have dad in one too,could there be a scottish connection through peter?
            my nannie was in service.when she married nannie married grandad 1908 in liecester,but moved to leeds yorkshire.she would be on the leeds census in 1911 as she married 1908.i cant buy credits as i am not a member and money is tight thankyou ...i thought maybe someone who is a member doh.... they would have to pay.i thought the census were free.i think nannie wanted it kept secret....little did she know i would have found out. brenda xxx

Comment

You can search the 1911 census for free, but you don't get the full details. As I said, there's no Peter Watson with any connection to Leicestershire coming up. However, somebody with a subscription to FindmyPast can do an address search to see who was at the Newtown Street address in 1911. There's no way of doing a 1901 address search on Ancestry (unless you trawl through dozens of pages), even if you have a subscription; not sure about FMP.

It's quite possible that Peter was Scottish; I looked for army records, and a lot of the Peter Watsons who came up were in Scottish regiments.

I wonder if your Nan worked at the hospital, as she gave that as her address?

Comment

no she was a domestic it says on her marriage lines....but that might be were colin was born i have the address she lived with her mum,as her dad had died,before she married grandad in 1908..brenda xxx what was his profession i never heard of it?
                Last edited by Guest; 10-02-10, 14:29.

Comment

just looked in the wiki.....brenda xxx

Comment

hpe you dont mind me asking on gr forum for help with this as it seems i cant go any further thankyou mary for all you have done brenda xxx

Comment

No problem

Comment

30 newtown st in 1901; jane and her son claude lester, two lodgers, charles h hill, and joseph w. see.

Comment

same lester family at the address in 1911, with lodgers virginia granger and clara walker.

Comment

thankyou it must have been a boarding house.....brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                            X