Office 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office 2010

What can you tell me about Office 2010 please? Will it only work on a 64 bit PC? I think that they may still have a beta version available to download but not sure what happens if you do not like it or it is too expensive when sold to you direct from MS.

Any guidence please my PC is 32 bite.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Hi Margaret,
    There is some information on Office 2010 on Wikipedia, including development status and pricing (see edition comparison chart).
    It also says it is expected to be released around June 2010 and there will be both a 32-bit and a 64-bit version (64-bit for Vista and Windows 7 only)
    Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_2010
    Last edited by Cloggie; 10-02-10, 07:02.
    Sarah

Comment

@Margaret -- Here are some helpful getting to know Office 2010 Beta resources.

Re: 64 bit -- Here are the System Requirements to run Office 2010 -- http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010...fault.aspx#29q

Re: Beta -- A free download is available for trial. It will last through October 31, 2010. At that time you will be asked to purchase the full version, or uninstall it from your computer. And, you can run Office 2010 Beta alongside Office 2007 versions or earlier. Download it here: http://us20.office2010beta.microsoft...?culture=en-US

Lastly, here is a link to the FAQ's, so you can answer more of your questions. http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010...s/default.aspx

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions! You can also check out the conversation going on at the Office page on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/office.

Cheers,
      KIM
      MSFT Office Outreach Team

Comment

Hello Kim,

Thank you for all the information I will take a look at it all. I expect at the end of the day I will stay with 2007 until it runs out of steam.

Welcome to the site I notice this is your first posting. I am sure that you will enjoy this users friendly site always someone waiting to help us all.

Good Luck,
        Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Margaret,

'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'

Office 2007 is the one to stick with.
          2010 will not give you anything better and, as it is in BETA stage, would be full of 'bugs'.

Researching:
          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Trevor,

Thank you, I do agree with you on this one. It is just that one gets chatting to others and you begin to think it must be the best program since 'Sliced Bread'. I also feel the same about Vista I do not feel now that I am stuck with it that I need to change it. Not easy to find another PC or Laptop with Vista as I am fussy where I buy it.
            Margaret N

Comment

Thanks Margaret, for the welcome! It's nice to be here!

Well, if you want to give the Office 2010 Beta a try, you can run it alongside Office 2007. You won't automatically have to upgrade, but you can see if you like it.

After you download and install the 2010 trial, you'll be given the option to “Upgrade” upon installation. If you want to keep Office 2007, simply select the “Customize” option. From there you should be able to select to run Office 2010 alongside 2007. Just a little FYI. No harm in trying, right? ;)

Cheers!
              KIM
              MSFT Office Outreach Team

Comment

Office 2007 and 2010 are more useful for organisations in sharing information (Office notes is fantastic for that), but for the home user, there is no real improvement, so why upgrade for the sake of it?

I do not buy a new car as soon as a new model comes out, because it suits the purpose I have it for in the first place.

I never upgraded from XP to Vista, because XP did everything I needed.
                I was glad, as it was not fully tested before release and full of problems.

They fixed this with Windows 7, which, in reality is Vista with the bugs removed (drivers not included!).
                After seeing it being used in industry setting and that there were no issues, I have upgraded to that.

I'll be doing the same with Office, 2007 is sufficient for me (And I teach MS applications), as it is current for industry standard. No need to upgrade until there is the need, ie it becomes industry standard.
                BETA version is MS using us to test their product without paying us to do it, if there are errors and problems, what do you do?

I will be waiting until a fully tested product that has been used in industry (not home use) for at least a year comes out.
                Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 18-02-10, 14:53.

Researching:
                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Working...
                X