Hi Newbie Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Newbie Here

Hi I am new to the forums. I am trying to trace my mother in laws family, as she was placed in care back in the late 1930's. We have her mothers name. I have managed to trace backwards from the 1911 census back to follow the line.

I can find no records of her after the 1911 census when she lived with her twin sister and parents in London, neither marriage or death.
    I would appreciate any advice on what to look for. All I have is her two christian names and given name. Neither can I find anything about her twin sister?

Also

I have registered on "find my past" and My heritage taking the benifit of the 14 day free trial. I have also loaded the "my heritage" family tree software. This site also offers access to databases to trace people. Has anyone heard of this is it any good. The cost of these sites is quite expensive, however, as I am doing a complete tree on both my family and husbands family I am happy to pay, but which sites offer the best source of information.

Sorry one more question.

Birth certificates etc. Can these be viewd on line anywhere? or is there somewhere you can go and look in person. I have only found places that charge upwards of £10 per certificate - which could work out expensive.

I appreicate you advice

Tanya

Hi Tanya

welcome to the board. there is a site for looking up BMD

It is free, then you send of for the certs to the GRO, and each cert costs seven pounds.

If any of your FH was happening in London, there is Ancestry.uk but it is a subscription site. Though people do look ups on here, who have already got a sub.The certs are online by ancestry, with all the details of what the vicar put on them at the church when the marriage/baptism took place.

mm

Comment

Thank you for reply. Have just been on the Free BMD ( thanks) but cannot even find her birth records, but I do have that information from elsewhere I am obviously doing something wrong?

Comment

Hi

If you put up the info that you have, I or somebody will have a look for you, but please no names of living people,|(not allowed)

mm

Comment

many thanks. NO i appreciate no living people

Name Rose Elizabeth Obrien born 1904 St Pancras father Edward Obrien Mother Janet Obrien.

I put that it but got nothing however I can find her on the 1911 census - odd!

Comment

Apart from the London BMDs which are not yet complete there are no other certificate type records on line unless your ancestors are from scotland where scotlandspeople.gov has the same sort of images as for London of the registers which means you don't need to buy a certificate.

You should never pay more than £7 for a cert from the GRO direct, other prices you have seen simply order them from GRO and put a mark up on them!

All you wll find on FreeBMD is the reference number from the index so you can order the cert.

Ancestry and Findmypast are the best subscription sites with all the census data from 1841 which helps piece families together backed up by certificates.

Personally I find ancestry the best for my research as it covers in a straighforward way all the census and BMD stuff and WW1 military records where they exist. Whilst the annual sub can be quite a bit I feel it is value for money given what you can find in a short time - this is a hobby and as such you do need to pay - it's cheaper than golf - at least that's what I think!

The other site that is very useful is familysearch.org which has BMDs before 19837 when civil registration started and which is covered in the indexes refered to above. On familysearch you get inforamtion from parish records of baptisms and marriages and (less often) deaths.

The Wiki section on here has tons of inforamtion and links to sites that provide all kinds of supplementary records and sometimes more details from the records you may have found listed elsewhere.

Don't hesitate to ask specific questions on here if you get stuck, everyone is very friendly and helpful and there's a vast range of knowledge from the combined experience of the members.
            Margaret

Comment

Found the baptism record

Name: Rose Elizabeth O'Brien
              Birth 27-Aug-04
              Baptism 25-Sep-04
              Father's Name: Edward O'Brien
              Mother's Name: Janet O'Brien
              Church: St Mary the Virgin, Somers Town

Name: Janet Violet O'Brien
              Birth 27-Aug-04
              Baptism 25-Sep-04
              Father's Name: Edward O'Brien
              Mother's Name: Janet O'Brien
              Church: St Mary the Virgin, Somers Town

Address 55 Burton St. Euston Road, fathers occupation was a scavenger

off to cook dinner now, catch you later

mm

Comment

Originally posted by tanyatracing View Post
                many thanks. NO i appreciate no living people

Name Rose Elizabeth Obrien born 1904 St Pancras father Edward Obrien Mother Janet Obrien.

I put that it but got nothing however I can find her on the 1911 census - odd!
                It's not odd to find someone on the 1911 but not see their birth record - there is a separate database for births - try FreeBMD but put is as little information as you need to find the record. Try different combinations and spellings to see what you get - it's often a question of trial and error.

There are errors and omissions from the databases and mistranscriptions where the handwritten records have been entered by people digitising the records.
                Margaret

Comment

O'Brien Rose Elizabeth Pancras vol 1b Pg 50

Oct-Dec 1904

On www.Freebmd.org.uk

Comment

Personally I find ancestry the best for my research as it covers in a straighforward way all the census and BMD stuff and WW1 military records where they exist. Whilst the annual sub can be quite a bit I feel it is value for money given what you can find in a short time - this is a hobby and as such you do need to pay - it's cheaper than golf - at least that's what I think!
                    I only started on Friday and i think i have been bitten by the bug LOL I have joined ancestry.. yes cheaper than golf.. must tell husband LOL

Appreciate your advice and help

Thanks everyone

Tanya

Comment

Janet Violet is also there, same page - 1b 50, which is what you would expect for twins.

OC
                      Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 09-02-10, 17:22.

Comment

EDIT - ignore this post as irrelevant - see later.

Two possible marriages for Rose - to Skelton, to Smith.

Only ONE Janet marriage, very odd and that is in Manchester. I wonder if she used the name Violet, as her mother was also Janet? In that case, a couple of possible marriages. No suitable Janet deaths (but one which could be her mother?).
                        Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 09-02-10, 21:43. Reason: Wrong people

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          Two possible marriages for Rose - to Skelton, to Smith.

Only ONE Janet marriage, very odd and that is in Manchester. I wonder if she used the name Violet, as her mother was also Janet? In that case, a couple of possible marriages. No suitable Janet deaths (but one which could be her mother?).

Thats really interesting I did find the skelton /marriage that was in St Pancras..WHere did youfind the smith marraige!!!! What year?? Just would love to tell Mother in law I have found out what happened to her mother.

Comment

EDIT - Ignore this post, irrelevant, see later posts.

Rose E O'Brien to Arthur Smith, Sept 31 Pancras 1b 168.

Unlikely that BOTH marriages are her, though - a second marriage should have been under the name Skelton of course.

Mother Janet possibly died in 1912. Who brought up the children?

OC
                            Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 09-02-10, 21:44.

Comment

Have no idea. The last record I have is the 1911 census?? MIL was placed in a roman catholic care home... they will not give her any other info excpet mums name Rose and DOB and place of birth. I will see if Edward remarried if this is Janet who died. Can I ask how you get this info so quickly I am using ancestory but it can get confusing LOL but such fun. My MIL just wants to know her roots she is now in her 70's and I know just needs to be at peace with it all. I have offered for years but she has always said not interested then last week out of the blue she asked me about these web sites so I agreed to help. I am also tracing my family back so really interesting

Many thanks

Tanya

Comment

Found Edward in 1901 , A road sweeper, that is another word for scavenger.

mm

Comment

I have just realised, you must know who Rose married, if Rose is your mother's mother?!

All the info above is from

OC

Comment

Yes Rose is my mother in laws mother..however..she knows nothing about her as she was in care from a young age ?. She knows nothing about her mother etc. DOes not know who her father is and to be honest thatpart of it she is not interested in. She really just wants to know what happened to her mother.
                                    Is it possible that someone could use there maiden name on a birth certificate if they had a child,??

Comment

EDIT - Ignore this post, irrelevant, see later.

Your mother is R*J*S*, born 1929? There do not appear to be any other children of this marriage.

I cannot find a death for her mother. That marriage of Rose E to a Smith in 1931 produced one child - also a Rose!!!!

There are two possible marriages for Horace, starting 1934. Can your mother remember exactly when she went into the Home? If it was around 1934, that might indicate her father remarried.

I would suggest a divorce but that seems unlikely with the Catholic connection?

Perhaps someone else will look for a death for Rose Elizabeth Skelton, from Dec 1929 onwards, probably in the Pancras area - none on Freebmd.

OC
                                      Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 09-02-10, 21:45.

Comment

Another THORT (I'm good at them, lol).

How long since is it that your mil requested information about her time in the Children's Home? The RC church has pledged to be more open about the Homes they ran. They may be prepared to let her look at her file now.

Any information which appears on any certificate, is only as good as the person giving the information. Basically you could say whatever you liked, no one checked.

However - if your mother IS RJS, then her parents were married when she was born in 1929. As there were no more children of this marriage, it does look as if either/both of her parents died, or just cleared off.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X