lost whitehead girls and baffled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost whitehead girls and baffled

howard william whitehead and his wife edith had four children.
    douglas howard born solihull june 1906
    herbert lawrence born solihull june 1908
    their are also two daughters whom i seem unable to find details of
    ellen born 1813 solihull
    adelaide born 1918 solihull.
    this is also strange.family sailed for australia in jan 1922.
    this is taken off the boarding lists for the ship.
    address in uk c/o jacob, helling by park avenue, ventnor isle of whight.country of last permanent address of possesions british intended permanent residence australia.i cannot see what brought them in the isle of whight as they were living in the solihull area of warwickshire and sailing from liverpool?unable to find any of the jacob family in the isle of whight.
    edith was a jacob before marriage but the family seem to be in liverpool and solihull areas only. any help please.

Hi - as far as you can work out, did they settle in Australia? You mentioned passenger lists for 1922..

Comment

yes they lived in australia till they died.

Comment

Hi - the passenger records should say where they sailed from - or the arrival info should be able to tell you more. What State did they live in?
        Did Ellen and Adelaide not come to Australia? On FreeBMD, a female Whitehead born in Solihull in 1918 was Ag**s R - there wasn't a Whitehead birth showing for Solihull in 1913. There are Ellen's not in Solihull, but the mother isn't a Jacob. There are Whitehead and Jacobs births showing, but from 1923
        With the Jacob in the IOW - perhaps he was a one off family member who moved there.
        There is a Park Avenue in Ventnor..I'm not sure what helling is meant to be...was it a business name perhaps?? or is the person called Jacob Helling? There was a Christina Helling born in the IOW in 1858...know it's early..
        Did you find the family in 1911? I didn't look at the A site re; the births.
        Last edited by naomiatt; 10-02-10, 08:26.

Comment

Herbert Lawrence Whitehead, born Coventry, enlisted for WW2 in Queensland, but married Alice Evelyn Ewen at Chatswood in Sydney NSW in 1936.
          Diane
          Sydney Australia
          Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Edith maiden name was Jacob. Possibly a brother or someone went to live on the isle of Wight
            Jess

Comment

can anyone see them on 1911 census? I cant.

The only one I can see 1911 is Douglas H Whitehead born 1903 solihull, - can't see a birth for him, and on 1911 ( although not with who you say)

Births Jun 1906 Whitehead Douglas Howard Solihull 6d665
              Last edited by Jessbowbag; 10-02-10, 10:03.
              Jess

Comment

sorry i cannot help more i was given the passenger list by a lady in australia. i cannot work out what the helling is either. but that is how it was sent to me .
                they sailed from liverpool,
                they left england on the29th jan 1922 they were ticketed to sydney ,they arrived on the 13th of march
                embarkation papers show following.
                listed as whitehead family howard,edith.douglas,nellie.adelaide. un sure where the nellie came from
                i have herbert lawrences ww2 service record where he states he was born in coventry england date of birth 1906, in australia i have ellen maud married to trevour jenkins william woolahara in 1941adelaide mary married eggling herbert fredrick in woollahara 1937.in 1930 electoral roll they were living in junee also lived in dorrigo in 1949.
                i hope this helps a little. thank you.

Comment

they sailed from liverpool 29 jan 1922.herbert lawrence died 16 june 1993 in perth. i have them on the 1930 1933 1937 1949 and 1954 census records in australia.lived at woolahara dorrigo,
                  just to confuse matters on herbert lawrences ww2 service records he states born coventry englans. on 6th mar 1908
                  next of kin alice whitehead?

Comment

I wonder if their births are registered under Maud and Nellie or Mary...I've found a few on FreeBMD..not stating Solihull specifically....and the mother is also named as a Whitehead..

Have you looked in here? http://trove.nla.gov.au/ ..especially the papers section...and in the National Archives http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/rec...rch/index.aspx

(Re;next of kin alice whitehead? - that makes sense for Herbert if they marred in 1936)
                    Last edited by naomiatt; 10-02-10, 11:27.

Comment

Nellie is probably Ellen. Nellie was often used for Ellen

Comment

thank you all. i have found edith jacob married howard william whitehead june 1905 solihull vol 5d page 1031
                        herbert lawrence born june 1908 solihull6d page 681
                        on the 1891 census as follows
                        john whitehead 35 head farmer
                        elizabeth wife 34 born west bromwich
                        howard w 10 born balsall
                        leonard 5 born balsall amos edwin 3 born balsall i can account for the rest of the family fine its just howard who is the sore point.

Comment

just found ellens wedding
                          she is down as margaret ellen whitehead married sidney victor manning 1930

Comment

Hi - this must be his birth - Jun 1881
                            WHITEHEAD Howard William Solihull 6d 582
                            What is the sore point for him?

Comment

Originally posted by polishirish View Post
                              just found ellens wedding
                              she is down as margaret ellen whitehead married sidney victor manning 1930
                              No, I think this is the right one

20376/1941 Groom: JENKINS TREVOR WILLIAM Bride: WHITEHEAD ELLEN MAUD at WOOLLAHRA

and this is Adelaide

22653/1937 Groom: EGGELING HERBERT FREDERICK Bride: WHITEHEAD ADELAIDE MARY at WOOLLAHRA
                              Diane
                              Sydney Australia

Comment

Adelaide's death registration

106468/1975 EGGELING ADELAIDE MARY father HOWARD mother EDITH no district listed

From the Ryerson Index, date 5 Oct 1975, late of Bateau Bay, formerly of Parkes

and husband Herbert

EGGELING Herbert Frederick 14OCT1989 Death late of Berkeley Vale

The notices were published in the Sydney Morning Herald, which is available on microfilm at many libraries in NSW. If you cannot look yourself, you are able to ask a Ryerson volunteer - here-

An index to death and funeral notices, and other death-type information, published in Australian newspapers from 1803 to the present

They also had another daughter who died in 1924 - unfortunately, birth indexes only go to 1909, you can get the death cert, or a transcription very easily.

6385/1924 WHITEHEAD EDITH E father HOWARD W mother EDITH at WAVERLEY

Di
                                Last edited by dicole; 11-02-10, 01:48.
                                Diane
                                Sydney Australia

Comment

All I can find about Trevor and Ellen Jenkins is that a Trevor William Jenkins graduated from Sydney University in 1941 with Bachelor of Tropical Medicine.

Maybe they went somewhere tropical

I cant find any births for Ellen Maud or Adelaide in freebmd - could they have been born in Australia ?

Di
                                  Last edited by dicole; 11-02-10, 02:03.
                                  Diane
                                  Sydney Australia

Comment

thank you very much for all this help.
                                    i am really stuck with the girls, everything seems to show they were born in this country sorry england. but i just cannot find their births anywhere.

Comment

A NSW death certificate usually shows age and place of birth, and how long in "the colony", so Adelaide's death cert. might just give some clue - you could also ask the Register Office local to Solihull if they have any records of the birth reg. sometimes they were not passed on to the GRO, but it would more than strange if two birth regs. from the one family did not make it through. My great-grandfathers death reg. never made it from Manchester to the GRO, so its worth an enquiry .

I looked at the Australian Electoral Rolls for clues - in 1943, Adelaide and Ellen were both married but living at the same address as their parents - both men are listed on the AWM website as serving in WW2. After the war, in 1954, the Eggelings are in Cooma NSW. The elder Whiteheads remained in Bellevue Hill.

Di
                                      Diane
                                      Sydney Australia

Comment

thanks again

Comment

Working...
                                        X