Snelgrove family tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snelgrove family tree

I am new to the forum, and would appreciate some advice. I am trying to trace my father's family tree. My father Charles William Snelgrove was born on 21.04.1912. His parents Charles William Snelgrove were Emily/Emma Jane Porter. I have obtained, I think, their marriage details dated 09.01.1908 at St. Martins Church in Salisbury he was 21 a Groom at Codford St. Mary and she was 18 a domestic servant. On 1891 Census a Charles Snelgrove aged 7 was living with his family in Sutton Veny in Wiltshire. According to 1901 Census Charles had moved to Lancashire. However on the 1911 Census there is a Charles Snelgrove, born in Southampton, aged 25, a bricklayer, living with wife Emma Jane aged 22 and daughter Dorothy Ellen aged 1 living at 1 Brights Court, Gigant Street, Salisbury. On checking the 1901 Census again, I find there is another Charles Snelgrove aged 17, who was born in Southampton living with his family in Alton Hampshire. I cannot trace this family on 1891 Census. There are some discrepancies as on the marriage certificate Charles is age 21, but I cannot find a birth registration to match this, the only one I can find is 1884 for a Charles born in Sutton Veny, I cannot find a registration for a birth in 1884 of a Charles in Southampton. Any help or advice as to how I take this forward would be much appreciated.

Hi Craft, welcome to Family Tree Forum.

I am moving your thread to the Research Qs & As forum of the site where hopefully some of our members will be able to help you.
    Elaine

Comment

Welcome to FTF!
      Does the marriage certificate for Charles & Emily have their father's names and occupations?
      Kind regards,
      William
      Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Hi Elaine
        Thank you for your help.

Comment

Hi William
          Yes the certificate does give names, Charles father is also Charles Snelgrove, a Labourer and Emily's father was deceased at the time of the marriage, his name was Joseph Thomas Porter, and he was a plumber.
          Thank you and kind regards craft

Comment

www.freebmd.org.uk suggests that Joseph Thomas Porter's death was registered Apr-Jun 1903 in Greenwich vol 1d page 533. He was 67....meaning born about 1844. I'm guessing you know how to order a certificate - but if you don't then never pay more than £7...and please ask if you're not sure.

There are a lot of Joseph Porter's of about the right age in 1901 - I suggest you purchase the death certificate. If you're lucky you'll get other people in the family mentioned. You will at least find out where he was living in 1903...which may point towards the correct Joseph Porter in 1901.
            Last edited by wulliam; 09-02-10, 16:00.
            Kind regards,
            William
            Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Hi Craft, I have had a look and the Charles on the 1891 census was baptised 27th April 1884 St Johns Sutton Veny to parents Charles and Maria Snelgrove. Maria's maiden name was Gray I believe which is a familiar name in the Warminster area as is Snelgrove. They were married in 1874 in the Warminster area. Unfortunately I cant find the parish record of their marriage in Sutton Veny but may be it took place in Mere as that is what is stated on one of the census records for Maria's place of birth. I know this probably isn't much help but I thought I would let you know as I am a new to this too!

Comment

Thank you William. I do know how to order certificates, and will give it a try.
                Kind regards

Comment

Hi and thank you for your help. I did have this info, but I am not sure if this is the right family. I will keep onsearching.
                  Kind regards

Comment

Working...
                  X