Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to get a photo of my grandfather.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get a photo of my grandfather.

I never met my grandfather as he died when my father was a teenager. No-one appears to have a photo of him. (I probably know why).

Since he was married in Dean Park Parish Church, Govan, Scotland. on 31 Dec 1878 - I wondered if there were any photographic studios around of the day, who might (slim chance) have taken a pic of the happy bridal couple?
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

It seems unlikely to me - though others may know better. I think it's also very early to have a photo taken...unless they were very well off.
    Did the bride have any siblings? If so, try tracing them - maybe a descendant has an old photo album. It's a very long shot - but worth a try!
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Thanks for answering Willum - she did have some siblings, but they are from my grandfather's first wife - in Scotland. My grandfather came to Australia, his wife died in a burning accident, and he married my grandmother - so I dont really know his first wifes family at all - just names. He had a falling out with his oldest daughter of first marriage - and neither spoke of each other again, so I guess all pics were destroyed. I have been in touch with first wifes children, but not her siblings - as far as I know they are still in Scotland somewhere - I wouldn't even know who the girls married. He was only married to Nanna for 20 years, although he was in a home for a good many of those years. Nanna had no pics of him.

Comment

I agree with Wulliam,
        I made contact with a cousin via family history search and we exchanged photos. I actually had a photo of my g grandparents but didn't know who the photo was of, until we exchanged information and I found I had my g grandparents after all but had been unable to identify them.
        If your grandad was married in 1878 and he had a teenage son when he died - that takes you to a later date (when was your dad a teenager?) - then there could be a photo taken later and kept by a relative. Also I have found that when someone lives in a city it is easier to access a studio to have a photo taken than in a rural area, and probably cheaper (but that is just a guess).
        Good luck and keep trying to make contact with relatives and you may just find a photo.
        PS - My maternal side came from Glasgow - do you have any names, just in case!
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Herky grandfather was William John Laughlan b. Cronberry, Auchinleck, Ayre 2nd August 1858 ( think his father was working in the mines there, as all the rest of the family were born in Partick, and Paisley. )

Grandfather's siblings all died young, the longest living was 1881.

My dad was born in 1908 after the second marriage in Australia 1903 (oops - he was only 5). He only had two siblings and I have asked and asked the family but they only have one of Nanna.

Comment

Hi Jood - I see your problem with no siblings living on etc. I have had similar problems with other relatives and no photos - a photo is so special and brings the person to life.
            Sorry I am not much help but don't give up - you never know you might find him one day.
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks Herky - I might try and look up his first wifes siblings and see if I can find some descendants. - tho unfortunately they are scottish - however, I can at least try.

Comment

Happy to help with Scottish things - if I can.
                herky

Comment

Herky thanks for that. I"ve just written to a Laughlan (now Lochlin) relative who is related to first wife (Green family) - to ask if she could give me some information on who married who, since there were a few girls. When I get it sorted out, if there is anything I need to expand on (in Scotland) I'll be in touch.

I appreciate your offer. I've given up on expanding on the Laughlan family from way back - I'd love to find out the brothers and sisters of the Laughlan generation prior to my grandfather.

Kind regards

Comment

Working...
                  X