Help please with a missing Uncle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please with a missing Uncle

I have hit a brick wall with my Uncle Percy.
    Percy William Young was born in Brighton in 1900. He married Elzabeth Dilloway in 1924 and was at some point in the Marines but I cannot find a death for him or any children being born.
    I understand he did die youngish (no pun intended).
    There is another Young/Dilloway marriage in Surrey with offspring but this has been checked and is a coincidence.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Many thanks

There was someone of a very similar name in the Australian casualties of WW1 (CWGC) - but, of course, that doesn't fit the dates.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I had a look on TNA search... (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/s...earch.aspx?j=t)

Name Young, Percy William
      Register Number: 15729
      Division: Royal Marine Artillery: Continuous Service
      When Enlisted/Date of Enlistment: 12 June 1917
      Date 27 January 1900 (that's almost certainly DoB)
      Catalogue reference ADM 159/91

Dept Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies
      Series Admiralty: Royal Marines: Registers of Service
      Piece 215394 - 215939
      Image contains 1 document of many for this catalogue reference.
      It costs £3.50 to download.
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 08-02-10, 22:47.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine, I am sitting here in amazement at the speed of your searching. Many thanks.

Comment

It's probably more a question of having some ideas of where to look, rather than actually being particularly quick! .... But I do appreciate favourable comments like that!

Christine

Comment

Sorry to bump this but has anyone had any luck finding a death or children?
            I have tried all the sites I know. My vague memory is that he died late 50s early 60s.

Comment

In that era, deaths were recorded with only the fist name in full - others with just the initials - and the age-at-death.

Percy W YOUNG...
              1940 ~ Jun Q ~ age 40 ~ Edmonton

This is the only one out of the set registered in England & Wales with an age which suggests birth around 1900, apart from one Percy Charles W Young, b 9 Jan 1902, d 1977 Mar Q, Stroud.

Christine

Comment

Many thanks Christine. Much appreciated. He died much earlier than I thought. At least i can get his certificate now.

Comment

Working...
                X