A cook at RAF Halton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cook at RAF Halton

My husband's grandfather was a cook at RAF Halton in Buckinghamshire from at least 1921 to probably after WW2.

I was wondering if he would have a 'service' record, even if he wasn't involved in combat? It's just that I would be interested to know when exactly he started and when he left.

Thanks for your help

My friend's grandfather had an army record for WW1. He never saw active service and served as a cook at barracks in Kent.
    So I would expect there to be a service record for your man, unless he was a civilian.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

My daughter was a cook at RAF Halton towards the end of her service career. She certainly has a service record.

I don't THINK the RAF would have employed civvy cooks back then - it is only fairly recently that they have employed civvies at all I think.

All RAF personnel are trained for combat and my daughter saw active service even though her RAF trade was steward. She underwent refresher training every year.

OC

Comment

Thanks Janet & OC

And a small world too OC!

So it's just a case of finding where his record is now then.

I'm going to the Natiional Archives on 6th March, so hopefully I should be able to locate it there.

BTW his name was Thomas Henry Robert Anderson, born 1900 Maidenhead, Berkshire - if anyone can find anything on line...

Comment

Service records of RAF Officers that served prior to 1922 and Airmen that served prior to 1924 are held at the National Archive.

Service records for Officers and Airmen that served after these dates are retained by the Royal Air Force. RAF service records are retained by Service Number, Rank and Full Name, and will also contain the Date of Birth. It is important that as much of this information as possible is provided to assist in locating the correct record.
          Enquiries about RAF held records should be made as follows:

From Current/Former RAF Personnel.
          A Subject Access Request (SAR) form needs to be completed and sent to:

RAF DPA SAR Section
          Room 220
          Trenchard Hall
          RAF Cranwell
          Sleaford
          LINCS
          NG34 8HB

01400 261201
          Ext 8175
          Ext 8172
          Ext 8173

From Family Members and Other Authorised Individuals
          A Certificate of Kinship form needs to be completed and sent to:

RAF Disclosures Section
          Room 221b
          Trenchard Hall
          RAF Cranwell
          Sleaford
          LINCS
          NG34 8HB

01400 261201
          Ext 6711
          Ext 8161/8159 (Officers)
          Ext 8163/8168/8170 (Other ranks)
          Malc

OPC for Coleford, Somerset

Comment

That's brilliant, thanks Malc

Comment

You're welcome, hope you get the info that you want
              Malc

OPC for Coleford, Somerset

Comment

Have we had this discussion before, Velma? My father was 1-Wing Chaplain at Halton 1957-59. We lived at 12 Bulbeck (?Drive) - on the hill down from the Wing barracks. The apprentices used to march down the hill past our house every weekday morning.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Not that I recall Christine! :D

I went on a school trip to Wendover Woods today, so passed this... which got me thinking...

Comment

Working...
                  X