Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was Mary and what happened to her after 1841?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was Mary and what happened to her after 1841?

1841 census for North Cave
    (HO 107, piece 1217, book 5, folio 30, page 6 - 3rd line from bottom)

How do you read Mary's surname? And can you find her in 1851?

A bit of an odd household -
    Esther Fenton & Sophia Botterill were sisters (nee Holt)
    Elizabeth Oxtoby was the married daughter of Thomas & Esther Fenton.
    Sophia was the second wife of John Botterill and John Botterill junior was his grandson (illegitimate son of his daughter Emma.)

As yet, I have no idea where Mary fits in .

I think the first Mrs Botterill died in 1820 - I don't know when John married Sophia, whether they had any children, whether Sophia had also been married before.

John died in 1843, Sophia remarried in 1850 and in 1851 census there is just she and her husband in the household.

Grateful for any assistance.
    Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

which Mary is it that you are talking about Janet - is it the 70 year old one or the 2 year old ??

Comment

Sorry, the 2 yr old - the one in the household which starts with Thos Fenton.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I am thinking that she could be a Mary Morill born April q of 1839 in york registration district - will look further to see if I can find any kind of connection

Comment

Thankyou for looking, chapagnegal.

I can't find a Mary Morill/Monill in 1851 who seems to connect with ANY strand of this Fenton/Botterill family.
          The whole entry seems to be a mixed up mess, that even the enumerator had difficulty sorting out, by bracketing a whole gang of them together, lol. I do wonder if Mary should have gone in with the family below???

(John Botteriill & his first wife were my 3xgt grandparents.
          Sophia, his second wife, and Esther Fenton who they were staying with in 1841, were sisters of my 3xgt gdmother on another line.)

Thanks again for your time.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I have looked through and can't find anything on this poor little girl, the census image on FMP is clearer and you can very clearly see a bracket around the whole Botteril (Including Elizabeth and Hannah Oxtaby) family with the word "visitants" at the side (am assuming this means visitors). I still think that she is Mary Moril but where she fits in ... have no idea, am sorry :(

Comment

Champagnegal,
              Thanks again for you efforts on my behalf.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
              X