X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1881 Scotland Census Search

Hello all

Can anyone help out,

I have a Margaret Troup, a widow, on the 1871 Census in Aberdeen. She was born between 1810-1820 at Turiff, Aberdeenshire.

I cannot find her on the 1881 so assume she may have remarried. There are two possibles on Scotlands People:

Margaret Troup and George Freeman 1879 St Nicholas Aberdeen
    Margaret Troup and Alexander Davidson 1880 St Nicholas Aberdeen

Can anyone find either of these couples on Scotlands 1881 Census and see if in either case the wifes details match those I'm looking for?

Thanks

I've had a look at the Ancestry indices and can't see anything likely. Are you sure she didn't die?
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Hi,
      I have had a look but can't find anything so far apart from a Margret b c1807 but that is too early.
      Do you have Margaret's maiden name. Quite a few of mine (Scottish) went by their maiden name after they were widowed. Some are even listed as eg "Widow Smith".
      Although, I have to say, this is usually on earlier censuses.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

i've had a look at the 1881 discs and there's no Margaret Davidson or similar in Aberdeenshire that was born in Turriff. There is one in Aberdeen, Old Machar, a pauper widow, who doesn't say where in Aberdeenshire she was born. She is living with 2 young grandchildren - David and Edward Blacklaw.

There's no matching Margaret Troups or Freemans born Aberdeenshire 1810 -1820

Comment

I wonder whether she is mistranscribed there, as you would have thought the two couples on the marriages at least would be on the 1881 census, whether either is her or not.

The lady I am looking for was born as Margaret Cheyne. She was born 1811-13 in Turiff, Aberdeenshire (On 1871 though it is down as around 1818). She married William Troup St Nicholas Aberdeenshire 1845 and had four children Jane, William, Elspet, and James. Apart from Jane the children are all unnacounted for too after 1861. No death certs for any of them, and cannot find them on any passenger lists as having migrated. Her husband died in South Africa, fighting with the Cape Mounted Rifles, in Aug 1861. She is a widow in 1871 and not remarried by that point. Her occupation is 'cook'.

Comment

I have sent you a personal message as i am not sure if i am allowed to mention things on public trees on Ancestry.
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

There's 2 death entries you might want to look at on Scotland's People.

1. TROUP, Margaret 1902 aged 83. no other surname given. St Machar, Aberdeen

and a way out possibility but you never know - somebody may have made an error/known her by a different name. The age and death place are as expected but the surname is what the birthplace should be. It's always worth a punt...

2. TURRIFF, Margaret 1876 aged 64. no other surname given. St Nicholas, Aberdeen

Comment

Hi Richard - Further to my private message and getting quite excited here that I may have the correct deaths. Then again I may just have got carried away!

All registrations are in Chorlton, Lancashire

1877 - a marriage of an Elspet Grant Troup to either an Armstrong or Kemp. No sign on 1881 census.
                1879 - a death of an Elspeth Armstrong, Chorlton, DoB as c 1849
                1907 - death of a Margaret Troup - again Chorlton, DoB c 1819
                1910 - a death of a William Troup - again Chorlton, DoB c 1847

1901 census has a Margaret Troup as the mother-in-law to David Armstrong. Margaret listed as b Scotland

EDIT - to add 1881 - Margaret Troup with son-in-law again but I am confused that he has 1 year old son, no wife, listed as a widower. Will check next census but perhaps i am on a wild goose chase - could someone give an opinion please, thanks
                Last edited by herky; 09-02-10, 18:17.
                herky

Comment

Just checked the birth index - there is an Elsie Armstrong b Chorlton, 1879, last quarter - looks as if mum died in childbirth.
                  The census in 1881 is correct as the child would have been 1 at the end of 1880 and and still 1 at the census if he has a birthday at the end of the year.

Also in 1881 - A William Troup b c 1845, Aberdeenshire and living with his family in Chorlton
                  Last edited by herky; 09-02-10, 18:30.
                  herky

Comment

I posted a reply but it vanished, so this is all a bit too late...

confirmation that Elspeth Grant Troup married David Armstrong - from Lancsbmd.

OC

Comment

Thanks - so hopefully we have found most of this little family as they moved south of the border.
                      herky

Comment

Herky further to PM, Jut to thank you here on the thread (& OC, Gallowaylass & Wulliam), Great work. Will get the cert to confirm, but looks good to me.

Comment

Working...
                        X