1730 Baptism question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1730 Baptism question

Some of you may remember my search for David Kirkby's baptism about 1730.

I have his parents' marriage in 1727 (William Kirkby and Agnes Addison) St Michael and All Angels Hawkshead, Lancs.

I have his sister's baptism in 1728 (Jane), same church.

I have his marriage to Agatha Sawrey in 1762, same church.

All his children were baptised in the same church.

I have his burial, aged 84, in 1814 in the same church.

I have his will and his grandfather's will of 1743 (Hugh Addison) where David is mentioned.

I cannot find his baptism anywhere, so my question is...

Would he have needed proof of baptism to marry??
    and (maybe that should have been questions...)
    Any ideas on other places to search??

No, would not have needed proof of baptism to marry.

I take it you are using transcribed records? Might be worth getting someone to look at the actual originals to see if he has just been missed off and also look a few years before the marriage.

Another not so helpful thought is that as first son (yes?) he might have been baptised in the family's private chapel and if so the Priest may have forgotten to record the baptism. You could double check the BTs I suppose as sometimes odd things are recorded there which have been missed off the actual register (and vice versa!)

OC

Comment

Couple of thoughts-
      Do you know where his mother was from as sometimes couples would go home to wife's home parish to baptise their children - though this is more likely with a first child and you say David had an older sister.
      Have you checked whether there is a gap in the registers of Hawkshead around that time. I solved the mystery of missing baptism for a couple of my lot when I discovered their parish church was closed for repairs/rebuilding around the time they were born and people used a church in a neighbouring parish.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

there is only one birth for a David Kirkby born 1730 on IGI ....He died in 1814...25th May...same year for the death as yours...
        David Kirkby b 1730 of Thwaite, Coniston ,Lancashire...this is only a submitted record....
        i have checked and Hawkshead and Coniston are just over 3 miles apart.....like I said it`s only submitted but looks likely....allan
        added
        if you think it may be him here is the Coniston churches link....
        Last edited by garstonite; 08-02-10, 11:53.
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Allan

As you say, looks likely but NOT proof of baptism, merely proof that someone has worked out roughly when and where he should have been baptised and entered that as a submission so that they have continuity in their tree. It isn't worth a light as a baptism record really, with no date and no church name.

OC

Comment

I totally agree OC...(LEARNT ALL THIS FROM YOU LOL) just thought Libby might want to see it to keep as a possible....looking at the Thwaite , Coniston site it states that Thwaite church St Andrews was rebuilt in 1819 but was originally built in 1586....3 William Kirkby christenings in Hawkshead
            born and christened on 16th April 1693......father William...extracted
            christened 20th March 1698 father David.....extracted
            christened 12th February 1701 father James...extracted.......take your pick Libby....lol.....allan
            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
            oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
            adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
            merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
            coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thanks............I'm starting to think the private chapel one may be te answer....or just a mistake.

There were only the two children, Jane and David. David is our direct link so we have a stack on him. I think he was born about 1830 as he is referred to as Jane's young brother in a letter. Agnes Addison had some link with Blawith parish, but I've checked there as well. I'm wondering if they took David to one ofthe bigger churches as he was the first (and only) son.

This is the lot that owned Furness Abbey and some other largish homes at some stage.

Comment

Might be worth getting at the BTs for the furness Abbey area. I found that one or two of my landed gentry had their eldest sons baptised in strategic areas, that is, where they owned most land, not necessarily where they lived. I can only suppose this would have something to do with making Wills and land inheritance and so on easier to deal with at a later date.

The younger sons and all the daughters were baptised in the parish church local to where they lived.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC........glad my idea wasn't met with a laugh....lol...not one I could hear anyway.

I must admit to getting a little gem from the BTs for David's childrens' baptisms. The PR had one child's mother as Agnes instead of Agatha.
                  The BT had a side note saying
                  "David Kirkby's wife and therefore mother of the child was Agatha the daughter of Anthony Sawrey. His mother was Agnes daughter of Hugh Addison."

Ironic as David's fristborn was to another woman he never married..lol

Comment

Working...
                  X