Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryan - Irish ancestry

Hi there,

Can anyone help me trace Thomas Ryan b abt 1765-70 possibly Ireland.

I have found a record of a baptism of Thomas Ryan b 24/3/1790 West Ditchburn, Eglingham, Northumberland. Father Thomas Ryan, but no other information.

I have searched the baptisms and marriages for Eglingham but can't find any other children born to Thomas, or a marriage. I then searched the IGi and found quite a few baptisms around about the time 1765-70 but none were listed as being Northumberland. This leads me to believe he must have come from Ireland and there are about 12 possibilities. Can anyone tell me if there were any records of travel from Ireland to England and if there are any other ways I could search, and why someone would travel across from Ireland at this time please?

Cheers, Melanie

Melanie

The IGI does not have many records for Northumberland, so that's no clue to anything. Are you thinking he was Irish because of the name?

Ireland was part of the UK then so there would be no passenger lists. Reasons for coming to England would nearly always be for a better life in some way.

I would expect an Irishman in that era to be Roman Catholic so you might not find any baptism anyway.

OC

Comment

Working...
    X