Jacob Goldring - Jew from Poland/Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacob Goldring - Jew from Poland/Russia

I'm researching the Goldring family in Belfast. A jewish family from Russian Poland they settled in Belfast sometime in early 1900s.

I think the first to come over was Jacob Goldring. He married in Liverpool in 1895 and was in Belfast for the birth of his first child in 1896.

I'm trying to find where he and his siblings came from. And when they arrived in the country.

The other names of the siblings that I have found so far are:- Maurice, Albert David, Wilfred, Nataniel, Rachel, and Vella (married to Jacob Sherlock).

Any information and advice will be appreciated.

Welcome to FTF!

Have you found any of these people on the Irish 1911 census? That should tell you their country of origin.

Irish research is difficult and Jewish research even more so, but there are a few people on this site who are very skilled at finding both.

If you can track down his marriage, you can get a copy of his synagogue marriage declaration and that will have on it the names of his parents and any of his unmarried brothers.

EDIT - He married at Hope Place Synagogue. I have looked on the United Synagogue website but unfortunately this marriage has not yet been listed on there, so you will have to try the Hope Place Synagogue direct for a copy of the marriage. This will cost you £15 (I think) but it will have his Jewish name on there and the Jewish name of his father - you will need their Jewish names for any backward research.

OC
    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 07-02-10, 19:25. Reason: additional info

Comment

Thanks for the information about the jewish marriage declaration - I'll follow that up.

I have found them in Belfast on the 1911 census. The place of birth is only stated as Russia, Russian Poland or Poland - no town.

Comment

Next thing to do is to look for naturalisation records at TNA. Also incoming passenger lists, probably a few months before he married. Liverpool was a favourite destination for Jewish people as there was already a large Jewish community there.

Have you found him on previous census? Our experience on here is that there is rarely a town given, just a country, as you have found, but you never know!

If you google Irish Jews, Jews in Ireland and so on, there is a surprising amount of information out there.

OC

Comment

There are 2 Jacob Goldrings in London on the 1891 census. I need to see the details of the households to work out if either are the Jacobs I'm looking for.

Most of my ancesters where from Ireland or Scotland so I don't have a subscription on the 2 main family research sites. And I don't really know what is available on them

Does either one have an advanatge when it comes to buying credits in a 'pay as you go' way? Or is one more likely to have info, passenger lists etc that may help me?

Comment

Thanks for that OC - just found a marriage for one of mine up in Newcastle on the United Synagogue website! Cost £20 but if there is that much info on it then it will be worth it!

Comment

There are 2 Jacob Goldrings in London on the 1891 census. I need to see the details of the households to work out if either are the Jacobs I'm looking for.

Hi
              Jacob Goldring born c1870 Russian Poland living in Whitechapel with parents Nathan & Hannah both born Russian Poland. Jacob's occupation Boot finisher.
              Jacob Goldring born c1873 Russia lodging in Mile End with a family called Goldfinkle. Jacob's occupation Boot finisher.
              Moggie

Comment

There are naturalization records on the TNA site for Albert David, Belfast nat 19th Aug 1916 & Wilfred ,Newry Co Down nat 10th June 1913. I couldn't see one for Maurice but found this in the London Gazette.
                Maurice Goldring born Russia nat 10th May 1907 Pretoria Villas Old Cavehill Rd Belfast.These records should give the names of parents & when they came to the UK.
                Moggie

Comment

Trina

Ah! I forgot to say that the information is often in Hebrew! However, we do have a Hebrew reader on this site if you get stuck.

OC

Comment

Glad you told me that
                    No question - I will be stuck!
                    However a cousin may know someone who can help ..........

Otherwise I will be posting on here as soon as the document arrives!

Comment

Hi Trina - I'm happy to help with the Hebrew..
                      There are quite a few Goldring's...not sure if you're also looking to go sideways, forwards etc
                      Some sites to look at are;

If you look at these archives http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/search - I heard from GG.

Do you know if Jacob landed up living in London? There are two on FreeBMD -
                      Deaths Dec 1925
                      Goldring Jacob A 71 Paddington 1a 81
                      Deaths Mar 1935
                      Goldring Jacob 66 Pancras 1b 9
                      Last edited by naomiatt; 10-02-10, 00:53.

Comment

I just had a quick look at the JC - there was a Mr and Mrs M Golding at Pretoria Villas, Belfast - 1906 onwards - wishing people a Happy New Year - looks like they were very involved with the Belfast Hebrew Congregation (probably Maurice who naturalised in 1907) http://www.historyfromheadstones.com/index.php?id=725
                        According to this site Maurice Goldring was a financier in Donegall Street and purchased a site for the Carnmoney Jewish Cemetery with Samuel Freeman.
                        A female Goldring was engaged to or married Louis Grossman of 13 Landscape Terrace Belfast - Feb 1916 - Must have been family in America and Africa
                        A little later are more mentions of marriages, births etc etc.. There are more addresses mentioned as well...
                        Maurice Goldring, husband of Est**r, passed away in Feb, 1943, Old Belfast (Pretoria?) A stone was set in June, 1944.
                        If you search Goldring Belfast - all words - earliest first - this info will eventually come up e.g in the Sept 22nd edition, 1922,
                        Mr & Mrs Jacob Sherlock's (Belfast) daughter, An*** married Lo**s, son of Mr & Mrs Isaac Goodman of London..
                        Marriages Sep 1922
                        GOODMAN L***is Sherlock Fylde 8e 1981
                        SHERLOCK An**e Goodman Fylde 8e 1981
                        Last edited by naomiatt; 10-02-10, 02:24.

Comment

Thanks Naomiatt. Mine isn't a Goldring, but I may take you up on that

Comment

Originally posted by Trina View Post
                            Thanks Naomiatt. Mine isn't a Goldring, but I may take you up on that
                            Hi - not a prob. Is the person you're looking for also of the Jewish faith?

Comment

Thanks to you all for your help with the Goldrings.

That is a lot of info and leads for me to follow up.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                                Hi - not a prob. Is the person you're looking for also of the Jewish faith?
                                Hi Trina - just realised that I addressed my reply to you when it should have been to s.cross123!!
                                but still happy to help with the info you found! :o

Comment

Wasn't sure Naomiat but as I said, will be very grateful for any help with Hebrew etc. Not sure how long it takes for the marriage info to arrive.

Curiously, the same marriage on the same date for the same people is available from the Newcastle Synagogue (where they seem to live) as well as the Birmingham Synagogue. Could they have the record at both, if say the bride's parents were in Birmingham? I've only ordered the one copy as I don't want to waste £20 on a duplicate!

Comment

Originally posted by Trina View Post
                                    Wasn't sure Naomiat but as I said, will be very grateful for any help with Hebrew etc. Not sure how long it takes for the marriage info to arrive.

Curiously, the same marriage on the same date for the same people is available from the Newcastle Synagogue (where they seem to live) as well as the Birmingham Synagogue. Could they have the record at both, if say the bride's parents were in Birmingham? I've only ordered the one copy as I don't want to waste £20 on a duplicate!
                                    Hmm...not sure why that would happen....does the civil event happen in Newcastle or Birmingham?

Comment

Hiya....just had a look on here for you.....it`s a list of Aliens who resided in Liverpool whilst waiting for Naturalisation papers from 1869 to 1912.....your Jacob Goldring is NOT listed so I think you can rule out Liverpool....
                                      one Harris Goldring b Germany....no Goldring b Russia or Poland....anyway, have a look for future reference....allan
                                      This website is for sale! liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                                      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                                      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                                      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                                      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                                      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Civil event is Newcastle and that is what I have sent for in this case too. Can't see any obvious connection to Birmingham. Maybe it is just an admin error or something. Can't imagine them marrying twice in 2 different cities on the same day!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X