William McCusker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William McCusker

My great-great-uncle William McCusker was born in Killererin, Tuam, Galway 10 October 1865. I have his army records from the ancestry site, also his death certificate, and details of his burial in Lambeth Cemetery.

In the 1911 census there is a William McCusker age 48, born Galway, at 22 College Street, Portsea. I cannot see any other William McCusker of that sort of age that was born in Galway in the census.

As far as I can see, from the Irish civil registration index in the Mormons' site, there was only one William McCusker born about 1865 in Galway

- so, would you agree that this is "my" William?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Joy Dean; 07-02-10, 14:12.
    Joy

Joy,

His army records should show if and when he was in Portsea which had a big army base. I have muster records for my own great grandfather stationed at Portsea in the 1871 Census. Presume he is married with wife and children in 1911 census? If so and all else matches then a good chance you have correct William.

Janet

Comment

Thank you.

He never married.

The William in 1911 was single, a deputy landlord and, living in College Street, Portsea, he would have been, I think, about two miles away from the address, Francis Avenue, Southsea, where Florence Breach was living in 1911 (she being the daughter of Arthur and Elizabeth (née McCusker), his sister and brother-in-law.
      Joy

Comment

The close presence of other family makes him even more tempting! I'd be inclined to claim him - if only provisionally - since he fits so well. But you'd have to be careful to make a note of what depends on him, so that you can root out anything which is invalidated if he turns out not to be yours.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you.

He was discharged from the Royal Artillery Corps in 1903; he had joined at Fort Rowner, Gosport in 1882. He was in the Labour Corps later, discharged 1919.
          Next of kin was his sister (my great-grandmother) who was, first, in Eastney, Portsmouth and, later, in Vauxhall, London.
          He was a labourer according to his army records and his death certificate. So could he have been a deputy landlord in 1911?
          He died in Lambeth Hospital in 1928 age 62, six years after great-granny.
          I checked again both the Irish and British 1911 census and could see no other William McCusker that would seem to be mine.
          Last edited by Joy Dean; 08-02-10, 13:29.
          Joy

Comment

Working...
          X