Mason Journeyman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mason Journeyman?

I have recently received my G.Grandfather's birth certificate in which his father is described as Mason Journeyman. Can anyone enlighten me as to what this Occupation was? They lived in Wiltshire, if that is any clue!

Thanks for looking. Lesley.

Definition of a journeyman: A tradesman who has served his trade apprenticeship and mastered his craft, not bound to serve a master. Generally hired by the day. The name derives from the French for day - jour.

Hope that helps!
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks for that reply Elaine.

Have just checked the Census for his trade and it states Stone Mason! So that answers my question perfectly.

Lesley

Comment

Lesley, I had several generations of my PINKER family living in Wiltshire, all connected with stone quarries ranging from master masons down to stone sawyers and quarry labourers. They moved from Christian Malford to Box and I'm pretty sure some of them were involved in the construction of the Brunel Tunnel at Box.

A mason served an apprenticeship, after which he became a journeyman (from memory, I think this lasted about two years and was like an internship) before being accepted as a master mason.

Subterranea Britannica is a society devoted to the study and investigation of man-made (including Nuclear Bunkers) and man-used underground places.

Bath stone was quarried there and used in innumerable public buildings in the south of England
        Last edited by Macbev; 07-02-10, 09:05.

Beverley

Comment

Thanks for that useful information Beverly! It must have run in the family as I just noticed that one of my G.Grandfathers brothers was also a Stone Mason. My G. Grandfather joined the Army was obviously was posted to Gosport and hence met up with my G.Grandmother here in Hampshire and here he stayed. However, after he came out of the Army he called himself a Bricklayer, so obviously, it has a connection somewhere with his fathers trade.

Will check out that link later when I have more time........shouldn't be here at the moment!!!!

Thanks again for replies Lesley

Comment

Working...
          X