Looking for Info on Halsted Toovey /England /Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Info on Halsted Toovey /England /Canada

I have come to the "wall" on this part of my family research.
    I am trying to find out what happened to Halsted Beetson Toovey.
    He was born in 1881 in Plymouth Devon, lived in Derby (1901 census) where his occupation was Photographic Artist. I have also found that he travelled landing in Quebec in 1905 and then Buffalo in 1913. Through an address book my Grandmother had he was living in Ontario Canada. His occupation could have been pastryman.
    I am not sure of the year in Ontario but it could be 1930's or even 1940's.
    I would like to find out when he died, whether it was in Canada or whether he came back to England. I also don't know whether he ever married.
    Is there someone out there who may be able to solve this.

Tidders:
    researching Tidball, Toovey, Manley, Fairchild, Courtier, Debois, McConchie, Wardlaw

Hi - have you been able to find anything in this site - it was updated recently http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/ and http://www.olivetreegenealogy.com/can/bdm/

Comment

Halsted Beeston Toovey is mentioned 3 times here..

good luck....allan
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hi back again
        Thanks for your help.
        I checked out the olivetree site with no luck
        The address I have in my Grandmothers old book was:
        21 Mutual Street
        Toronto
        Ontario Canada
        I feel that could have been 1930's or 1940's but it is only a guess.
        I am not familiar with Canada and place names and any good sites.
        Hope to find the info.
        tidders
        researching Tidball, Toovey, Manley, Fairchild, Courtier, Debois, McConchie, Wardlaw

Comment

Hi - Mutual Street is still there if you google map - wonder if there's anything in the Star Newspaper (they were based in Mutual St)

Comment

Hi Naomiatt
            Thanks. I wasn't sure whether there was enough info in the address. I will have a look at google earth now.
            tidders

Comment

just checked and realised that the address i have is actully 21 Mutreal street Ontario.
              I am sure that there should be more to the address like a city or something?
              tidders

Comment

Hi - everytime I try and find Mutreal as a spelling it takes me to a street in NZ....or to Montreal.....
                There is a Montreal Rd in Ottawa..
                Last edited by naomiatt; 08-02-10, 21:36.

Comment

I have revisited the old address book. Not very good handwriting and I think it might be in Toronto. The last 2 letters are definetly "to". I checked google and there are only 2 towns which end in those letters. (Deseronto and Toronto) I get the same result from google earth.
                  Maybe the street is longer due to redevelopments?
                  tidders
                  Is there any other lookups which might solve what happened to Halsted Beetson Toovey

Comment

Might be worth sending a PM to Christine in Herts...I know Christine has done some Canadian research..

Comment

It might be worth sending an email to the Ontario Genealogical Society as they would be familiar with old Toronto streets and would also be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.torontofamilyhistory.org/toronto.html is the address of the Toronto Branch
                      There's a contact email address - info@torontofamilyhistory.org
                      Jenny

Comment

Thanks for some more leads. i will get onto those.

tidders

Comment

Hi - there is this site as well - http://www.thatsmyfamily.info/Metamo...ations_en.html

Comment

Hi Jenoco
                            Thanks for the website for Ontario Genelogical. They returned my email the next day and suggested that the address could be:
                            21 Mutual Street Toronto.
                            When had had another closer look at my Grandmothers enty I can now see Mutual and not Mutreal.
                            I looked at Google earth street view. Unfortunately 21 Mutual street is now all high rise flats. It looks like they could have been built in the 1970's. It is not far from the toronto harbour.
                            One thing solved and one to go.
                            tidders

Comment

Glad they were able to help. From looking at the map, Mutual Street seems to be in the downtown area of Toronto and there probably aren't too many older houses left there.
                              Jenny

Comment

Hi naomiatt
                                i have tried this web site several times without luck. It will not open for me.
                                I wonder if it is still in use? Have you had any luck opening it or is it just me?

tidders

Comment

Originally posted by tidders View Post
                                  Hi naomiatt
                                  i have tried this web site several times without luck. It will not open for me.
                                  I wonder if it is still in use? Have you had any luck opening it or is it just me?

tidders
                                  Hi - I just tried it and got in - try

Comment

Working...
                                  X