tracing a sea captain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tracing a sea captain

Hi I'm following up a family story of an ancestor who was supposed to be a sea captain.This is a story that has been passed down my brother in law's family and everyone is certain it's true!Does anyone know how and where I could research this?
    His name was William Denman Bell born 1878 Sheffield.In 1901 he was at Haigh Wigan and was a metal worker,in 1911 at Blackpool and was a window cleaner!!!
    If he did join the navy or merchant navy he'd surely have to get a move on to become a captain???
    Any comments or advice would be most welcome

Thanks for looking
    Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

There is a very useful section in the wiki relating to Military and Maritime research which might be worth looking at ...
    Military_Research
    Elaine

Comment

Thankyou Elaine I should have thought of looking in the wiki,will check it out now!

Liz

Comment

try http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/ ,it helped me find information on my wifes ?Xgrandfather captian
        Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
        http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

If he was WW2 merchant navy check out the mercantile marine forum. Any idea of a ship name or photos?

Comment

Hi Mike thanks for that,I'll check it out.

No Rik We have no photos or ship's name ,just this family story passed down and his oldest grandson determined that it was true.The only thing that bothers me about it is that he was a cotton weaver at 14,a dateler in a mine at 24 and a window cleaner employing others at 34.I'm assuming if it's true that he would have been at sea in some capacity between age 14 and 24 ie 1891 and 1901.Or do you think he wouldn't be too old to go to sea after age 34??

Thanks for your interest.

Liz

Comment

What about WW1? Although a bit old, you never know. Difficult to imagine how he would have got to Captain in four years though.

A similar tale in my family "He was Captain of a ship" turned out to be almost true - he owned a dredger, lol.

OC

Comment

Hello OC
                yes I was wondering about ww1 too .I found a captain WD Bell in the Royal Navy Air service gaining the military cross but further research seems to suggest that was a William Douglas Bell.

I'm beginning to wonder if this story told to a young grandson (at the time) was just a great story to tell a young lad and a lot more exciting than telling him he was a window cleaner!!The only trouble is that in the back of my mind there is usually a grain of truth in these family tales!! Maybe he had a fishing boat or something because he did live in Blackpool .

Thanks OC for your reply

Liz

Comment

Working...
                X