Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible burial locations query

Hi folks
    Just me again hoping to locate the final resting place of my Gr Gr Gr grandparents.

I know it might seem to be an impossible task but after the total success finding my gr gr grandparents with all the help and advice I had from the good folks in the forum I feel I would love to give it a go so here goes...any thoughts would be appreciated or where to start.
    I have their death certificates by the way.

George Palmer died 21 Mar 1871 at 2 Gresham Place, Cripplegate, London City
    and
    Mary Palmer died 06 Jun 1900 at 2 Queens Block, Stoney Lane, St Botolph, London City

Thanks again in advance.
    Tony Palmer

The problem with such recent deaths is that all the inner London burial grounds had been closed years previously so they'd be buried several miles out of the city. There are several large cemeteries in the outer suburbs of London.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi Uncle John.
      Thanks for getting back.
      Looks like I might have problems from what you say, well it was worth asking so hope you didn't mind.

I did have to do quite a lot of phoning to find my gr gr grandparents but found them in the end...

I was also suprised about some of the charges for my look ups even though I had every detail needed for the search.

So it looks like the phone again around the large cemeteries and fingers crossed.

Thanks again
      Tony

Comment

A lot of the inner city burials were transferred here.

Comment

are they not on the NBI? (National Burial Index) at all?
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

you could also have a look here, it might help eliminate some of the cemeteries

Julie

Comment

Hi All and special thanks to Southwick and Darksecretz

Thanks for the info about the NBI, I didn't check it out as I thought I would need to spend £40 to get the CD's but further checks have shown me that the CD's are at the Lichfield Record Office so I will try to get there...good one thanks.
              Thanks also for directing me to the Brookwood Cemetery and the link to all the other cemeteries to.....
              Well thats a great start so on Monday the phone will get hot again.
              Tony

Comment

Originally posted by tglyn View Post
                Hi All and special thanks to Southwick and Darksecretz

Thanks for the info about the NBI, I didn't check it out as I thought I would need to spend £40 to get the CD's but further checks have shown me that the CD's are at the Lichfield Record Office so I will try to get there...good one thanks.
                Thanks also for directing me to the Brookwood Cemetery and the link to all the other cemeteries to.....
                Well thats a great start so on Monday the phone will get hot again.
                Tony
                You can look at the National Burial Index on Findmypast using pay per view credits so that would be a cheaper option than the CD's and maybe even that the cost of getting to Lichfield!
                Margaret

Comment

Thats a good point Margaret, I had forgotton about them bieng on there, and also there is the possible version 3 NBI due out soon :D
                  Julie

Comment

Hi
                    I've just had a look in the NBI for your Palmers but they are not listed. Unfortunately there is very little coverage for London after the 1850s.
                    Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie
                      Thanks so much for checking that out for me ..it is really appreciated.
                      So many helpful folks on this forum...and it notices.
                      Tony

Comment

Working...
                      X