Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Girl or Boy ????? and where's his her's Birth Reg ???????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl or Boy ????? and where's his her's Birth Reg ???????????

last child of Samuel Keen, Hildred a Son ??? cannot find an appropiate Birth for him her ???
    Anybody know what its supposed to be ?? thanks

Hmm I was expecting this to be a fairly straightforward mistranscritption but it'sa not is it? Hildred clear as day on the enumerators lists. Have searched for all H Keen births on freebmd for 1870-1871 and nothing obvious. If the sex is wrong for some reason I'd go with Mildred for a girl though.

Comment

Should it not be Mildred? Without looking... I have no sub... Though Hildred actually exists as a girls' name, it is not that common.

It is possible that the transcriber took 'dau' for 'son'.

Comment

I did think it was Mildred but I cant find that either ??? thanks for looking

Comment

It is certainly interesting, as freeBMD has no hits for Hildreds KEEN in Middlesex or Surrey in the entire database. There are boys with the name Hildred, though, but not KEEN.

I searched on children with father Samuel KEEN on ancestry, but couldn't find any either. Samuel CAIN does come up and something longer, but not KEEN.

Possibly, as the original census returns filled in by the people themselves (or anybody who could write) and were then copied by an enumerator, you are looking at a given name he couldn't read, or a boy visiting (nephew or something) who was istakenly listed as son. Not certain though. I had an Emily in my tree who changed into Amelia because of another on the same paper who was also called Amelia. And a relative who was born and in Surrey, and in Middlesex.

There is a hit on freeBMD for a Hildred George MILLS in 1872. Does that name ring a bell?

Comment

The age is certainly in the male column......Where is 'Hildred' in 1881?

Comment

thanks for your replies I am going through all the Keens born in and around 1870 .frown

Comment

Name: Female Keen
                1870 Jan-Feb-Mar Holborn
                Volume: 1b Page: 757

Maybe this is her and the census entry is wrong. I see the enumerator crossed out some stuff in the occupation column too.

Have you found this family in 1881?
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post

I see the enumerator crossed out some stuff in the occupation column too.
                  The occupation that is crossed through for the child above Hildred is Baby and Hildred's is Do. Probably realised this was not a form of employment!

Have you found birth registrations for the other children? It also doesn't help that place of birth is just recorded as England.

Searching Ancesry BMD for just Hildred b 1870+/- 1 year brings up both males and females with that name. Many seen to be second names and I wonder if it was originally the surname of another ancestor in that family. Think I would try finding this person in all the later censuses to see if he has been recorded with a different name in subsequent years.
                  Last edited by Elderflower; 06-02-10, 19:34. Reason: Added further info.

Comment

gawd I'm quite dizzy thanks so much for your help I have just found I think the right child in 1881 the mother is with a different Husband and there is a Albert keen aged 12 ??? as the last lot of children were all born in St Clements Danes I am hoping the child Albert Arthur Keen born 1869 in The Strand is him??
                    What do you reckon ???

Comment

The 1881 census looks good.
                      You have the right combination of names..... Sarah (senior) liked her Printers too.!

Comment

Gwyn the trouble is I'm still not 100% its the right Samuel married to Sarah ???? dont know why I have this niggling doubt ?
                        Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                        X