Cordwainer to Watch Case Maker ??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordwainer to Watch Case Maker ??????

I am not convinced of this ,but could and would a Cordwainer become a Watch case maker???

Well anything is possible I suppose, but I would have thought that a cordwainer could always find work in his own field. Such a change of career would be born of desperation I think, although he might have been making leather watch cases!

OC

Comment

thanks OC I was thinking that too, as shoes were always wanted , but I suppose he could have made Leather cases as you say.
      I'm just not convinced this is my man ?????????????/

Comment

Yes, I think I'd want some solid proof.

OC

Comment

what is the difference between a printer and a copper plate printer , as his son is ??

Comment

From Wikipedia - "Copperplate refers to the use of inscribed sheets of copper in printing. The engraved or etched sheets of copper are inked and then have paper rolled over them to produce a copy" So, it was just describing the type of printing process he worked with... and therefore the same profession.

Perhaps the father swopped to watch case maker because he wasn't doing so well? Both aren't too dissimilar.

Comment

thanks for that, I am trying to work out if its the right father and son ? why is it some say father deceased when he isn't and others dont day deceased when they are ????????????

Comment

It's easy to omit... but to say that they are when they're not seems strange... hints of a scandal perhaps????

Comment

I have a few like that ,one I did understand as the mother had taken the kids and moved in with another man, its so frustrating, thanks again

Comment

Hi Val

You don't say what years or where the info comes from. (census / certs)

My first thoughts would be yes.

check my census
                    1981 census overseas special forces
                    1991 census saddler
                    2001 census master harness maker
                    2011 census (if still alive) decorative leather box maker

I'm still a Master Saddler and Master Harness Make, but enjoy doing decorative work.
                    Malc

OPC for Coleford, Somerset

Comment

I agree with you Malc, craftsmen often excel at finer work which I would think a watch case could be to a shoemakerand so make the move up the chain.
                      Alison

Comment

A cordwainer makes shoes and other fine articles from soft leather..... So no reason to believe he ever made shoes ;) although he might have done.
                        Have you tried to find him in any archives from Worshipful Company of Cordwainers? It might be worth seeing where they are? maybe LMA/city of London Archives

my BIL is a corwainer although for some strange reason he calls himself a tanner, he made my son a beautiful bealth for his birthday this year which has a hidden zip all the way around the inside.

Comment

thanks very much for your comments most interesting, but now I have another problem, so am going to put another query up concerning his marriage .

Comment

Working...
                          X