Family MORWITCH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family MORWITCH

G’day fellow researchers. I have a stumbling block and I’m hoping someone can help.

I believe that our family name MORWITCH was changed as it crossed Europe or the English Channel. I cannot find where my paternal ancestors crossed from Europe to England. I do not know whether they crossed as a family or as individuals. All four boys I believe were born in Krakow Austria. Certainly one of them was - Samuel.

Jacob Abraham MORWITCH and Rachel had 4 sons – Samuel b. 1826, Abraham b. 1830, Henry b. 1831, and Lyons b. 1839. The brothers emigrated from Europe to England sometime between Henry’s birth in 1831 and the first appearance of Abraham in England in 1850. I have not found parents Jacob Abraham or Rachel in England to date.

I am isolated from many sources by a lack of a subscription, or distance. I would deeply appreciate any help that might allow me to identify our original family name and point of crossing to England.

Scott
    Brisbane, Qld, Aus.

Scott

Is this them on 1851 census.

6 Temple St Bristol

Abraham Morwitch head aged 24 Jeweller born Germany
    Henry Morwitch brother aged 20 also Jeweller born Germany.

This will also help us if you can confirm
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Scott

You perhaps know all this but I am struggling. I have googled Abraham Morwitch jeweller and a few sites are coming up in Australia with his and Henrys names on.

Not really helping with your request but I think some one with more knowledge than me will be able to help with people moving countries.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I'm no expert, but I should think the original name might be Morwicz.

Comment

I don't think you're likely to find them on a passenger list, unfortunately - the surviving ones are mainly for long voyages, eg. Australia/USA to England.

You can sometimes find naturalisation records in the Gazette or the National Archives, but naturalisation wasn't compulsory.

I've found bankruptcy petitions in 1853 for Samuel and Abraham Morwitch of Bristol:

Comment

You presumably know about their time in Australia, but in case you hadn't seen them, there are several references to the family in the Australian newspapers, including death/probate notices and insolvencies, and a letter to the newspapers by H Morwitch in 1867 about a court case he'd been involved in:

Australia’s free online research portal. Trove is a collaboration between the National Library of Australia and hundreds of Partner organisations around Australia.

Comment

Thank you Lin and Mary. Yes those are two of "my boys" in the 1851 census, and yes those are another two of "my boys" going broke in 1853 - Samuel, Abraham and Henry. I've never seen mention of Lyons the youngest, in England. The name MORWITCH has so many possibilities when you run over it with a Soundex search, that I think the only way I will ever be sure is to match data with a crossing or something, and backtrack. The four brothers emigrated to Australia in 1854 - not all at the same time, but very close together. I have much of the Australian information, although I'm not so silly as to say I've got it all... :-)

Comment

Hi Scott - you mentioned not finding Lyons in England - Lyon can equate to Judah or Yehudah which in turn can equate to Leonid..and also Lieb/Liberman, Aryeh, Selig/Zelik, Zundel and Traut..just to confuse it even more! I wonder if he is showing in England, but under one of those names? Perhaps he is showing somewhere with Samuel in 1851 as Abraham and Henry are together in Bristol. I don't have access to search those records fully. Likewise, as he was only around 11, maybe his parents, Joseph Abraham and Rachel were also in the UK. Besides Bristol, do you have any other locations for the family when they were in England?

Is thiis connected to you?
                Births Mar 1855
                Morwitch Lazurus Whitechapel 1c 382 also showing as
                Births Mar 1855
                Morvitch Lazarus Whitechapel 1c 382
                unless it's a big coincidence....
                and later on
                Births Mar 1900
                Morvitz Jacob Mile End 1c 461

In 1911, there is a family - Jacob and Tanta Morwitz with their sons? - Ernest, Louis, Jacob, Marks and Joseph - living in Mile End Old Town. I can't see the info fully.
                Last edited by naomiatt; 06-02-10, 05:47.

Comment

G'day and thank you Naomi. Part of my problem is not knowing whether the 4 brothers' parents also went to England. I can't see anything even remotely likely in the 1851 census. The births you mention could be connected to my family but I have found nothing yet to confirm this.
                  Scott, Brisbane QLD (where it is BUCKETING down rain)

Comment

Hi Scott - Found a Dora Jacobs (Dora Morwitch) in the 1901 census, born around 1875, and living in London. I'm not able to view further info,
                    I wonder if she is connected to Lazarus born in 1855 and if the four brothers had family who remained in the UK.

(We got caught in the bucketing! We were driving up to the Sunshine Coast and turned back - it was like a monsoon!)

Comment

G'day and thanks Naomi. I think I saw somewhere (blessed if I can remember where....) that Lazarus was living with Dora as father-in-law. I haven't run this lead down yet.
                      I would deeply appreciate some kind soul with access to the 1901 census doing a lookup on Dora Jacobs (nee MORWITCH) for me.
                      Scott (who is slowly drying out....)
                      Brisbane Qld.

Comment

Hi Scott I think this is the family Naomi has found

RG13; Piece: 302; Folio 94; Page 41.

Abraham Jacobs ,m 28, presser, b Poland
                        Dora Jacobs m 26 b Poland
                        Sarah 4, Rachel 2, Betsy 1 all born Whitechapel
                        Raphael Morwitch f in law, 65 b Poland
                        Last edited by Jill on the A272; 08-02-10, 15:48. Reason: adding capital where appropriate

Comment

Thank you Jill - I very much appreciate your response. I think it will be worthwhile for me to get copies of Dora and Raphael's birth certificates.

Comment

That's great info Jill. Can you see them in an earlier census, or a death for Raphael? I couldn't see anything to match...nor for a Lazarus Morwitch..
                            Raphael's birth sort of fits in with the other brothers Scott.

I wonder who this family is in 1911 -
                            Jacob and Tanta Morwitz with their sons? - Ernest, Louis, Jacob, Marks and Joseph - living in Mile End Old Town...and if the 1900 birth for a Jacob belongs to them?
                            Last edited by naomiatt; 08-02-10, 23:22.

Comment

In the UK Archives there is an open naturalisation file for Joseph Mirwitch from Russia, resident in London, cert no 15908 issued 25 April 1906. I've not been able to find further info in the London Gazette to see the address etc.

Comment

Thank you Naomi, and my apologies for my tardy response.

Comment

Hi - have you seen the info in the Victorian Government Gazette -
                                  The Victoria Government Gazette (1836 - 1997) is an online archive of official government documents from the District of Port Phillip in the colony of New South Wales, the Colony of Victoria, and the State Government of Victoria. A searchable index is used to locate pages from the Gazettes, which are also available in PDF.

Bit puzzled by not being able to see a death for Raphael - nor for a Lazarus Morwitch..

Comment

Working...
                                  X