mary ann pearson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mary ann pearson

I am trying to trace my greatgranmother Mary Ann Pearson b. 1874 Paddington. she married Fred Shelley 1984/5 cannot find date , Fred died 1901 they had 3 daughters my Granmother Dorothea Shelley 1895 Phyliss 1898 and Cissie May 1901.Mary and daughters are on 1901 census but after that I cannot trace her. WE always called her Granny Needle she maty have got married again. She was still alive 1948 as I have a photo of her at my 3rd birthday I was born 1945. There arent any relatives left that I can ask, I think she may have lived with her granson Archibald Herbert Shelley (Dorotheas son ) he died 1994 Southend on sea Essex he was my mums step brother. Any sugestions please Ifound you very helpfull before Joy Locke

Hi, I've just moved your request into this forum, as you will hopefully get a better response...

Is the marriage date correct? - I see you mistakenly put 1984 - but if it is 1884 then she would just be 10 years old???

Anyway, good luck with your quest...

Comment

Hi - Are the three daughters showing on the 1911 census? I found a Frederick Shelley marrying a Mary Ann White in 1904, Hendon for example..
      and a later Shelley and Pearson marriage for 1932. Are you sure they married? A Mary Cissie May Pearson born 1900 was living in Edmonton in the 1911..
      a Dorothea Pearson living in Woolwich aged 15....just wondered if they are recorded under Pearson and not Shelley...
      Last edited by naomiatt; 05-02-10, 00:35.

Comment

I dont know if they where married thats one of the things I'm trying to find and no I cant find any of them in 1911 census Dorothea amrried my grandad Frederick Bates 1913 .I did not know Dorothea had any sisters Till I found her in 1901 census. Both my grandparents family's seem very hard to trace .

Comment

Hi Bates

Welcome to FTF.

Is Dorothea on the 1901 census in North Wingfield Derbys as Dolly with Mary the mother and Phyllis and Cissy presumably her sisters.

I presume John Pearson is a relative

For ref RG13 Piece 3242 Folio 126 Page 6.

Be back in a mo to see what else I can find
          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Have you applied for Dorothea's birth cert or do you have a copy of her marriage cert?
            Have you made any tracks in finding her siblings? Any ideas for locations besides Paddington and Southend?

Comment

Just had another look at the 1901 census and John Pearson was born in Newark Notts so now not sure if he is a relative.

Can't find Mary Ann Pearson in 1891. Too many to identify. Can't find a marriage.

Please let us know all they info you that is positive.
              Lin

Comment

Found them in 1911, she is with a William, you will need to purchase credits if you want to see the transcription

NEEDLE WILLIAM M 1871 40 Paddington London
                SHELLY MISS D F 1893 18 Paddington London
                NEEDLE M A F 1866 45 Paddington London

This lady is the right age for a possible death

Name: Mary A Needle
                Death Registration Month/Year: 1957
                Age at death (estimated): 84
                Registration district: Willesden
                Inferred County: Middlesex
                Volume: 5f
                Page: 192

mm

Comment

I have found Dorotheas Baptism. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?...c=&pid=2868654

it states:

born Apr 15th 1895, Bapt 25th Oct 1895. Dorothea d/of Fred & Mary Shelley. abode: 23 Ordinance Rd, occ: Cellarman. (in the margin it also states Priority, though why I have no idea!)

Camden, St Stephen The Martyr, Hampstead

---------------------------

Phyllis Shelly http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?...c=&pid=3804274

born: 5th oct 1897
                  bapt 31 Aug 1899
                  d/o Frederic Shelly Mary Ann Shelly abode: 53, Cirencester st. (note that in the surname box it states PEARSON but is crossed out) occ: Cellarman

place St Mary Magdalene, Paddington Westminster County Middlesex

----------------------------

and this looks to be cissys birth ref:
                  http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...DBirth&indiv=1
                  Last edited by Darksecretz; 05-02-10, 12:51.
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes that is the right one

Comment

Yes I have Dorothea's birth marriage and death certificates as she lived with my mum untill her death.and they all came from Paddington .

Comment

Thanks for all the info so far

Comment

Finding your Mary Ann before she became Shelley or Needle will be difficult, because she wasnt the marrying kind. Have you heard any legends in the family of siblings, or her dads occupation, or anything that will give a clue.

The only guess I can make was that she married someone before Fred Shelley, and therefore was not free to marry Fred or William, and so just did what very very many people did those days, lived together and used the name of the partner.

mm

Comment

I have heard rumours that sh ran a brothel and took in unmarried mothers but I have no way of finding out .Her daughter Dorothea had a son befoe she married my grandad and I think Mary may have looked after him, As I said both family's have lots of skelitons Grandad went by a differtent name to his father and I only found that out through help from this site and I still cant find what happened to one of his sisters .

Comment

I'm not sure who married who - there is this with a William Needle -
                              Marriages Dec 1889
                              Allen Harriett Hackney 1b 699
                              Cann Mary Ann Hackney 1b 699
                              Needle William Hackney 1b 699
                              Taylor Frederic William Hackney 1b 699
                              Last edited by naomiatt; 06-02-10, 03:01.

Comment

I have sent for the death certificate for Mary Ann Needle hope it is the one as I can now remember visiting some one in Willsden when I was little, funny how you remember things all of suden , Will let you know if it is the one.

Comment

I think Ive found your Mary Ann Pearson, She was the (Illegitimate daughter) of Hannah Pearson, who was the older sister of John Pearson from Moorehouse Nottingham.

What I found strange was Mary Ann Pearson(Shelley) is in London, then after her Partner died, she is all of a sudden 200 miles away living with a family called Pearson, they just had to be related, you dont just up and go somewhere 200 miles away with 3 small children, unless you have a destination.

Now John Pearson is living with his brother in 1881 , just married to Emma
                                  RG11; Piece: 3305; Folio: 91; Page: 29;
                                  in 1891 still with Emma
                                  in 1901 Married to (Annie Louisa Wallace)

His Brother Walter in 1851(father Joseph mother Harriot)
                                  HO107; Piece: 2135; Folio: 211; Page: 7;

this same family in 1871, Just Hannah and John at home
                                  Class: RG10; Piece: 3537; Folio: 61; Page: 11;

In 1881 (Hannah married John Outram in 1878), they are all living with fatherJoseph sr
                                  Class: RG11; Piece: 3372; Folio: 46; Page: 10;

And there you have Mary Ann daughter of Hannah, born the same place as John ( Moorhouse Notts)

what I think happened on the 1901 is that because all the children were born Paddington, the enumerator included her and did a job lot.

what do you think??

mm

Comment

Wow thanks so much am just on my way out will read t again later but yes it must be the one!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I had a look back on John Pearson and couldn't find the connection with Mary Ann but thought there must be one.

Well done MM
                                      Lin

Comment

Perhaps not very helpful but have just had a look where Moorhouse is and its about half a mile from where we had the Notts meet for FTF last year.

Also there is a photo of the church on the Wiki if you look under Notts.
                                        Lin

Comment

Working...
                                        X