Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aussie children

hi all
    i hope i have got this right as to where to post my message and if i havent can you point me in the right direction'thanks as im new to all this
    hear is my problem
    looking for 3 children from abt 1840 or abts
    sarah gracey...dob 1835
    william gracey...dob1831
    george gracey...dob 1833
    there parents are
    george graceydob 1797
    .mother marearet mcpherson dob 1808
    margaret died age 27yrs
    father died age ..39 yrs
    they came to aust as convects
    george had a brother william dob...1800.. he was 39yrs when he passed away
    i have a bit on the boys as i did get a few certs .the to brothers i mean......
    i have looked in state records 2day orphen protatant. and no name in gracey
    i certainly
    would be very greatful for any help i would receive
    thanks ...hotmail

Welcome Hotmail

where about were these folks born?
    Jess

Comment

The NSW BDMS shows Margaret McPherson and William Gracey married at Scots Church Sydney in 1831. William, George and Sarah were BAPTISED in New South Wales in 1831, 1833 and 1835. If you are able to access a local history library in AUS, one that has the NSW Archives ARK kit, you will be able to search the baptisms on microfilm but which will tell you where, which church, but not much more. All the early church records, up to 1852 are available this way.

However, the death of Margaret Gracey in 1830 at 27yrs means that either her children were baptised AFTER her death, or this was not Margaret the wife of George. Maybe the microfilm of the marriage and death registers might tell you who she was.

There are two marriages for Wiliam Gracey, one to Agnes Noonan in 1870 at Albury and one in 1871 to Sarah ONeill at Young (I think one is meant to be George). Sarah Gracey married John Archbald McDonald at Bathurst in 1857.

The birth indexes, however, show births to GEORGE and Agnes Gracey at Young, and William and Sarah Gracey at Albury. George died in 1903.

Both George Gracey and William Gracey were convicted of Forgery and uttering a false instrument at the Old Bailey in 1818, for different offences. Both were sentenced for Life, George arrived per Grenada. William died in 1836. Old Bailey Trial records are available on line.

Di
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
        Both George Gracey and William Gracey were convicted of Forgery and uttering a false instrument at the Old Bailey in 1818, for different offences. Both were sentenced for Life, George arrived per Grenada. William died in 1836. Old Bailey Trial records are available on line.
        You can find a copy of the Old Bailey trial on the following links:

WILLIAM GRACEY, Deception > forgery, 9th September 1818

GEORGE GRACEY, Deception > forgery, 9th September 1818
        Elaine

Comment

Margt McPherson came as a free settler to the Colony, according to the Convict Permissions to Marry granted on 30 Dec 1830 - George was 36 and she was 22. You can see the entry if you have an ancestry sub.

These are entries in the Colonial Secretary's Records Index. You can search the index on the State Records Website, but its separate to the on-line indexes, and you can view the originals at the State Records office at Kingswood.

GRACEY, George. Per "Grenada", 1819

1819 Oct 30
          On list of convicts disembarked from the "Grenada" and forwarded to Emu Plains for distribution (Reel 6007; 4/3501 p.3)

1820 Aug 1
          On list of prisoners transported to Newcastle per "Lady Nelson" (Reel 6007; 4/3502 p.171)

1821 Sep 8
          Carpenter. On list of all persons victualled from H.M. Magazines (Reel 6016; 4/5781 p.118)

1824 Apr 28
          Carpenter. On return of bonded mechanics (Fiche 3293; 5/3821.1 p.7)

GRACEY, William. Per "Grenada", 1819

1819 Oct 30
          On list of convicts disembarked from the "Grenada" and forwarded to Emu Plains for distribution (Reel 6007; 4/3501 p.3)

1820 Aug 1
          On list of prisoners transported to Newcastle per "Lady Nelson" (Reel 6007; 4/3502 p.171)

1821 Sep 8
          Carpenter. On list of all persons victualled from H.M. Magazines (Reel 6016; 4/5781 p.118)

1822 Jun 11
          On list of prisoners assigned (Fiche 3290; 4/4570D p.43)

1822 Aug 3
          Re his recall into Government employ (Reel 6009; 4/3506 p.126)

1824 Oct 14
          Sent to Sydney from Bathurst (Reel 6065; 4/1800 p.198)

1825 Jan-Jul
          Overseer. On weekly returns of labour performed by Government gangs at Wellington Valley (Reel 6031; 4/1093.4 pp.43-76)

1825 Apr 30
          Overseer, Wellington. Report on a carcase of beef unfit to be served as rations (Reel 6069; 4/1818 pp.381-3)

Another good resource is the National Library Newspapers on-line, which have some Gracey references.

Also just try Google with Convict after their names, sometimes this brings up other websites
          Last edited by dicole; 03-02-10, 10:04.
          Diane
          Sydney Australia

Comment

aussie children

hi all
            thanks for that but.. i do have a fair bit on george and william senior
            but..... its the children im really trying to find out about as to where they got to
            after the both parents died

(WHO RAISED THEM)
            THANKS....HOTMAIL:(

Comment

I don't think there will be many records about the three children, where they lived etc, until they marry. Unless they went some where like a government institution. You could ask State Records what happened to orphaned children, in the 1830s. As Sarah married in Bathurst, one presumes they stayed in the area.

The best you might be able to do is track down any witnesses for their marriages and see if they might have been parental substitutes. If Margaret came as a free settler, possibly some of her family might have come too and ended up looking after the orphans.

If you search the NLA Newspapers online, you will be able to find that Margaret Gracey purchased 320 acres of land in the County of Roxburgh (around Bathurst) in 1836. So it looks like the children stayed in that area. Perhaps the Bathurst Family History, or Historical Society might have some local records which might help fill in the years until the children married.

I have been looking in the newspapers for the Graceys, Although many births are recorded for chidren to William and Sarah and George and Agnes, there are few marriages and deaths. I am thinking that they might have moved to Victoria, where the records are on-line but not free.
              Here is one newspaper article which might refer to one of the Albury Graceys. It's worth chasing down all the clues in the newspaper articles.

Di
              Last edited by dicole; 04-02-10, 10:28.
              Diane
              Sydney Australia

Comment

Looks like this is in the early stages - http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-...chools-records Index to orphan schools records - worth keeping an eye on it

Comment

hi diane
                  thank you very much for that info i will follow up on that .you could be right about margarets fami8ly i never thought about that
                  ill check out about the land as well ok.this is a good forum dont u think di.
                  god bless

pat

Comment

hi anne
                    ieen your note about the fitzpatrick .my fitzpatricks lived in oberon nsw aust .any conection hear anne
                    hotmail

Comment

hi diane
                      i have another question for you i hope you maybe able to help.as you said margaret came as a free settler to aust .id like to find out .....when she arrived...anddid she come alone .....and what was the name of the ship
                      .any chance of finding out would you think
                      thank you .....pat

Comment

Hi Pat,

As she married in 1831, it will be difficult to pin down her arrival - passenger lists for the period before 1839 are sketchy and and few are indexed on-line. I had a look at the State Records website. I think the best bet would be the 1828 census to see if she or her father is listed, or the Colonial Secretary's records. It might need at trip to state Records office at Kingswood, or in the city. Will do some more checking.
                        Diane
                        Sydney Australia

Comment

Working...
                        X