Burial Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burial Record

A general question if anyone can help please?

On a burial record (not death certificate) in England around 1850 to 1870 what sort of information could I expect to find?

Many thanks.
    Ewen

On those that I have looked at which are mainly Worcestershire and Gloucesteshire parishes there is usually just the date of burial, name of deceased, age of deceased and officiating minister.
    Helen in Glos

Comment

Thank you, I was hoping that relations may have been recorded.

Comment

Some records I have for Hampshire give details, such as - son of or wife/widow of. Just depends who filled in the details.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I had a few, also in Hampshire, where the vicar had recorded the cause of the death in the margin, e.g, one 'kicked in stomach by colt, died 3 days later'', another 'died of fever', and also mentioned relationships occasionally. Very much the exception to the rule obviously, but goes to show they are worth checking, the answer is I wouldn't expect too much, but until you look you never know.

Comment

The minimum will be burial date, name of deceased. Often it gives the age. You may find it gives "wife/widow" or "son of" It may give an address, or cause of death.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you everyone for all your comments regarding information from a burial record, it does seem like it varies according to the area and even the vicar. I am looking for the name of the husband of the deceased so hopefully that record will give those details.
              Ewen

Comment

Have you tried the death certificate? For women it often says who they are 'the property of' in the occupation column. For example "wife/widow of John Smith, butcher" or "daughter of Joesph Brown, labourer". Similarly with children.

Unfortunately you rarely get this information for men.

Anne

Comment

Another useful clue is to see if they share a grave - once you have the grave number.

Comment

Working...
                  X