1901 Census Look-up please, SMITH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1901 Census Look-up please, SMITH

I wonder if anyone on here can help me with these Smiths?

I'm looking at them for a friend. So far...I've found Frank Smith on the 1911 Census, (aged 5yrs & so DOB Approx 1906) with his father Peter Smith, (aged 40 in 1911, & so DOB Approx 1871). In 1911, Peter Smith is a Stevedore & the family are living at 29 Watergate Street, Deptford North, in the Parish of St Pauls:

SMITH, PETER HEAD MARRIED 40yrs STEVEDORE born DEPTFORD KENT
    SMITH, KATE WIFE MARRIED 19yrs 28yrs born DEPTFORD KENT
    SMITH, ELLEN DAUGHTER SINGLE 17yrs FACTORY HAND born DEPTFORD KENT
    SMITH, EDWARD SON SINGLE 15yrs FACTORY HAND born DEPTFORD KENT
    SMITH, WILLIAM SON 11yrs born DEPTFORD KENT
    SMITH, FRANK SON 5 yrs born DEPTFORD KENT
    SMITH, MARGARET DAUGHTER 3yrs born DEPTFORD KENT
    TOBIN, MARY ANN MOTHER IN LAW WIDOW 68yrs NO OCCUPATION born OXFORDSHIRE
    TOBIN, JOHN NEPHEW 23yrs FACTORY HAND born DEPTFORD KENT
    TOBIN, MARY NIECE 20yrs FACTORY HAND born DEPTFORD KENT
    TOBIN, MARIAN NEPHEW 19yrs FACTORY HAND born DEPTFORD KENT

Having found them on the 1911, - I thought that it would be relatively straightforward to find Peter Smith (Born Deptford 1871) on the 1901 Census...& then hopefully on the earlier Censuses too. However, I seem to have been going round in circles of Smiths for days, - & getting nowhere.

I should be so grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction with these Smiths!! (I have found the Tobins on the 1901, in Rowley Street, Deptford, - but still no Smiths:-(
    Holly.

Sorry, have looked, but to no avail.
    Have you come across a possible marriage for Frank's parents at all? (I thought it might help by establishing a time & place for Peter & Kate, but didn't see anything likely, I'm afraid.)

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Many Thanks for looking Janet, - I'm glad that its not just me!

Peter Smith married two of the Tobin sisters, - Margaret in March 1890 in Greenwich, & then Catherine (Kate) in December 1914.

I'm baffled as to why I can't find him before 1911:-(

Holly.

Comment

I'm a bit confused now Holly. You say that he married Catherine (Kate) in 1914 but isn't that her with him on the 1911 census and it says married 19 years
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Sorry, can't get any handle on Peter, or his first wife Margaret pre 1911.

I suspect that at least one bit of information you have for Peter (from 1911) may be incorrect????
          Have you got either of the marriage certs? This would, hopefully, give you his father's name and occupation. You could then, perhaps, find Peter in 1871/1881 census and track him forwards.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Do you know when Margaret died?

Did Frank & Margaret jun belong to Kate?

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
              I'm a bit confused now Holly. You say that he married Catherine (Kate) in 1914 but isn't that her with him on the 1911 census and it says married 19 years
              LOL, - yes, that is quite funny! (Kate would have had to have been 9yrs for that to be correct:-)

I haven't ordered any Certs, because I'm looking at this for an elderly friend. He has a Marriage Cert for his father, - Peter Smith's son Frank, who is 5yrs on the 1911. However, as Frank died of TB at a young age in the 1940's, my friend knows little about that side of his family.

Holly.

Comment

There is a death for a Margaret Smith aged 37 yrs - 1903 Sep qtr, Greenwich Reg Dist.

(I'm basing this on 1871 & 1881 census returns for Margaret Tobin, both suggest dob 1868 Croydon.)
                If this IS Margaret nee Tobin, then neither Frank nor Margaret jnr could have been her children.

Due to the surname being Smith, I'm not sure that you CAN get much further back, without some kind of documentation to give you extra clues.
                I can't find Peter & Margaret in either 1901 or 1891.
                I have Mgt in Croydon in 1871 & in Deptford in 1881 - but Tobin is a much less frequent name and also 1911 gave name, age & pob of her mother.

1911 - the 19 yrs of marriage was filled in for Peter, then crossed through and moved into Kate's data line.

Jay
                Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 03-02-10, 15:57. Reason: to add yr of death
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                  Do you know when Margaret died?

Did Frank & Margaret jun belong to Kate?

Jay
                  I think that they must have done Jay...

I would imagine that Margaret (Junior) was named after Margaret (Senior), & so presumably she had died by then. I've searched on Ancestry for a Death Entry for Margaret Smith (born Approx 1869) & there is one thats a possibility in 1911...

I'm sure that the 19yrs of Marriage quoted by Peter Smith on the 1911 Census has to be wrong on some level!!

Holly.

Comment

Originally posted by Holly View Post
                    I've searched on Ancestry for a Death Entry for Margaret Smith (born Approx 1869) & there is one thats a possibility in 1911..
                    Holly.
                    The point I was making before though Holly is that it's Kate who is on the 1911, not Margaret. And yet they didn't marry until 1914 Most odd.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Many Thanks Jay & Chrissie for the further imput

Yes...there's something not right about Peter Smith's 1911 info

I was hoping that having found them on the 1911...that the 1901 would be plain sailing! Thats obviously not the case here:-(

Re: the uncertainty over marriages and dates...I have found instances in my own family where people were unable to marry because of previous alliances, - but just said that they were on official forms;)

I can at least pass on the 1911 info to my friend, & see if he wants to persue it any further.

Many Thanks, Holly.

Comment

Working...
                      X