• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Igi

Hi folks
    Brass monkeys frozen here in Tamworth arrrrrrr lol

Just a question for someone that might know the answer
    Has the IGI curtailed or even stopped transcribing new parishes ? ? ?

This might be useful for some folks
    Do all know that when using the normal IGI if you put in just mum and dads names in the right hand side ie:
    Father...Last name
    Mother...Try without the mums last name
    Do not fill in anyother box..then search
    What this does is to find all children born with these parents names....could be lots of them if the names are very common,
    Works for me very well

I also use the "IGI Batch Numbers" quite a lot, very useful to find siblings once you have established one child is right.
    For others this is the link

Tony
    Dumplings tonight.......with beef Casserole...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

New controlled extractions are uploaded to the Vital Records Index.

This means they do not undergo the Temple Ordinances required for them to appear on the IGI.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

As far as I am aware, new transcriptions go on the LDS site almost daily and the extraction programme certainly hasn't stopped.

However, it may be that they are now concentrating on their beta site and uploading images only, rather than transcriptions.

I was told some time ago by my local LDS centre manager that no transcription material is ever refused by the LDS church, no matter where it comes from.

OC

Comment

Hi Olde Crone Holden & Guy.

Thanks for the info
        Not sure what "extraction programme " nor "Temple Ordinances " means
        Also still not sure if they still get updated from what you are saying
        Tony

Comment

The controlled extraction programme is just the title to describe how the various church records are transcribed - it is now done very carefully and to a high standard, with blind keying by two operators, with a third operator arbitrating if necessary.

I don't really know what you mean by "updating" - do you mean that they look at St Bloggs Parish Church again, having already transcribed it years ago and do a new transcription? If that is what you mean, then no, I don't think they have ever done that (I wait to be corrected though).

But if you mean, do new records still get transcribed, then yes, under the extraction programme described. Remember all transcriptions are done by volunteers and church records are filmed all over the world all the time, so there is new material almost daily on the LDS site. What I am not sure of NOW, is whether they are still transcribing in the old way, or whether all newly filmed material is going straight onto the beta site in the form of images - I think that is what they eventually intend to do with all church records (images instead of transcriptions).

Phew, I'm making a meal of this. Basically, yes, new material all the time, every day! NEW, not revised, rehashed etc.

OC

Comment

Hi Olde Crone Holden
            Well you have explained it clear enough for me now and I thank you very much for the detail of explanation....
            I am impressed
            Thanks again
            Tony

Comment

The controlled extractions were the mass filing of collections of material, parish registers, private transcriptions etc.. These controlled extractions were then submitted "en-mass" to Temple Ordinances.

Temple Ordinances (Baptism, Endowment, Sealing) are the ordinances of the LDS. The indiviual names are invited to accept a vicarious baptism, sealing or endowment performed on a living surrogate. They are part of the beliefs of the LDS Church.

They are only relevant to family history research because they are the reason for the IGI and govern the details the IGI contains.

As to your question asking whether the extractions are added to the IGI, no that stopped a few years ago, only private submissions are now added.

Controlled extractions are now added to the Vital Records databases and will appear on the pilot site.
              See-

Cheers
              Guy
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

For whats new on the Pilot site look here,

Physical & digital books, vital records, local history, settlement, and more...
                Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

The Record Search page also lists News & Updates, and when you click on "Browse our record collections" the latest additions/updates are marked with a red asterisk.
                  See: http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/
                  Sarah

Comment

Working...
                  X