World wide help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World wide help please?

I wonder if some kind person that has world Ancestry would do me a big favour please?

I have now been told that Ronald Joseph or just Joseph Sullivan emigrated, most probably to Australia. I only have basic Ancestry and have tried searching, but only a few J Sullivans and one R J come up but going to America. As I can't look at them I have no idea of course whether any of them fit. I also can't get up anything for Australia. The details are -

Ronald Joseph Sullivan or MORE likely just Joseph Sullivan. Born c1894/6.
    He was in Nottingham in mid 1936 but is thought to have gone abroad very soon afterwards.

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

I don't think Ancestry has any outgoing passenger lists to Australia for that period. I'll check on FMP.

I did find this, on the Australian National Archives site, but your man would have been very old to be in the army in 1943, so I shouldn't think it's him:

[SULLIVAN Ronald Joseph (Private) : Service Number - NX35665 : Unit - 2/24th Australian Infantry Battalion, Australian Military Forces: Date of Court Martial - 5 July 1943]

For some reason he doesn't appear on the Australian list of WW2 servicemen, so I can't check his age.

Comment

There is a Ronald Joseph Sullivan on the electoral roll in NSW from 1936 onwards, but he appears to be living with other Sullivans, and as he was in England in mid-1936 I doubt if it's him.

What are his parents' names? (they'll help to check deaths in Australia.)

Comment

Sorry, just found the soldier who was court-martialled, and he was born in Australia in 1913, so that rules him out. I think he's probably the same person listed on the electoral roll, because he lives in the same town.

Any particular reason why you think he may have gone to Australia? Did he have relatives there?

Comment

Hi Mary
          Thank you for the replies. He had good reason to dissappear as he was being hounded by the press. I have been told that he decided to go abroad and that he mentioned Australia as a strong possibility. That's all I have I'm afraid.
          I have a suspicion that he is more likely to be under just Joseph Sullivan. Thank you very much for looking.

Comment

It's just dawned on me what you said about the one on the electoral roles. He would have been in England in mid 1936. That's the only date I know is that he must have left sometime after late 1936. It is possible that he had family as I have never found his birth, so that may be why he went to Australia if he had family there.

Comment

The one on the electoral rolls is almost certainly the same person as the soldier who was courtmartialled, though, because they both came from the town of Narrandera, and he was born in Aus in 1913.

There are lots of Joseph Sullivans, but the electoral rolls don't show ages or birthplaces, so it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

If you want to post his parents' Christian names I can try looking for a death for him.

Comment

Thanks again for trying Mary. I didn't realise that the electoral rolls wouldn't give an age. Unfortunately, as I said, I have no idea who his parents were and there is no marriage cert as he didn't marry the lady that he had 2 children with and that I know about. Please don't go to any more trouble.

Comment

Working...
                X