Uniform ids needed - Pre 1918.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniform ids needed - Pre 1918.

Can anyone id these uniforms for me please, or give any info. What could the medals be?

Ive managed to date this 2nd pic to 1901-1911 from the photographer.

Going by his collar dogs worn by the soldier in the first image I would suggest that he served in the Shiny Tenth, The 10th Royal Hussars. The photographer, Richard Sinclaire, had also served in this regiment and had set up his military artist and photographer shop in North Gate sometime after his discharge. Canterbury served as a cavalery depot and the 10th were there from 1871 (a search on the Internet should get you a site that says when they were there). Richard Sinclair (junior) joined his father and the business became known as Sinclair & Son, when his other son Vincent joined them the company became Sinclair & Sons, a slight change but again a search on the Internet may give a date for when this happened. The Company carried on after Richard Sinclair died in 1917 being run by his family. I would suggest adate period of between 1885 to the late 1890's for this image.
    don

Comment

Does the first photo concern an officer of some kind? I remember in Blackaddergoes Forth at the end, when they go over the top, Hugh Laurie (Lieutentant) saying to Atkinson (a Captain) that 'he wouldn't want to face the guns without one of these' (pointing to his stick).

I am not sure from which rank on they would have got that thing.

He certainly looks old enough to be a higher rank than common soldier at any rate.

For the rest, I am not such an expert.

Comment

Sorry Kiki but there are no rank insignia on show so he would have been a private. The item that he is holding looks more like a long riding crop rather than a "walking out" stick. It is said that soldiers had these when out of the barracks as it was supposed to stop them putting their hands in their pockets and giving them an untidy appearence (the stick that is, not the long crop).

Comment

Originally posted by don.t View Post
          Sorry Kiki but there are no rank insignia on show so he would have been a private. The item that he is holding looks more like a long riding crop rather than a "walking out" stick. It is said that soldiers had these when out of the barracks as it was supposed to stop them putting their hands in their pockets and giving them an untidy appearence (the stick that is, not the long crop).
          Ok sorry my mistake. Should have looked properly.

Comment

no need to say sorry Kiki look upon it as a learning curve (thats what I do anyway lol). If you can do a high res' image of the medals on the second photograph there maybe a clue as to what they were awarded for. By the way have you a name for either of the subjects?

Comment

Thanks for the info, thats a great start, I appreciate that. I did wonder wether the 1st pic was Hussars or Yeomanry. Will try and get a high res image of the medals. As for names I am trying to pin that down. I think it may be a Stevens or a Sellick at this point in time, but Im working on that.

Comment

The best scan I can get, any clues?

Comment

if you go to the site of the British Medals forum you will find an expert who will identify the medals for you for sure, and if you then also go to the site of the British Badge Forum you will be sure to find somebody on that site who will identify the badges on the uniform and tell you the name of the Regiment and the era that he served based on the uniform and the badges.

Comment

I neither of the sites suggested identify the uniform another site to look for help is the Victorian Wars forum, they also hae experts on the era and will be able to assist

Comment

Working...
                    X