And behold, the brick wall called Edward PONMAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And behold, the brick wall called Edward PONMAN

So, I have looked myself stupid for a man called Edward PONMAN who had at least one child and probably more. The only reported child of this Edward I have found is Richard James PONMAN who was born abt 1809 in Turnham Green, Chiswick, Middlesex. I suspect, though, that there were a few other PONMAN children such as Augustus William/William (Augustus) born in 1797-1799 in Chiswick, Edward/Edwin Thomas born also Turnham Green, Chiswick in 1801 and maybe Eliza Matilda round about 1810.

I have found a whole load of mistranscriptions or misspellings like POUMAN, POWMAN, PONDMAN, BOWMAN (!), PORMAN, POWNMAN, PONMUN, PONMEN, PANMUN.

There was one who was registered in the census of 1841 as PONDEMAN,so that is why I think that their original name might have been PONDMAN.

After some googling I have found out of other people who have/are researched/researching the PONMANs that they seem to have come from the north, more accurately Lincolnshire, where there were/are a lot of PONDMANs. So, I am guessing that their name at some point was mispronounced due to the northern accent and its silent D. Their name in Dutch would mean 'waterman', someone who ownes barges and trasnports goods along canals. Believe it or not, there was one researcher who found two barges owned in Middlesex by one branch.

I am now wondering whether this person, Edward PONMAN, was from the north as there don't seem to be any families left in Middlesex/London after going into the 18th century.

I have looked on familysearch in all kinds of variations, no Edward; I have looked on ancestry for any person called Edward/Edwin/Edwd/Edw born around 1777 (even with a ten year gap if he wasn't the father of William) so that mistranscriptions would be included, no really convincing match. Anybody any ideas? Remember I have no idea if this Edward PONMAN was actually born in Middlesex or not.

Hi - don't know that this helps much - there are some Ponman's who were in Brentford in the late 1830's-1840's - not too far from Chiswick.

Comment

on Genesreunited
      William Ponman , 1843 Chiswick ,Middlesex
      Frances Ponman 1835 Tunham Green , Chiswick
      Frances Ponman 1834 Tunham Green , Chiswick
      Richard Ponman 1831 Tunham Green Chiswick
      Edward Ponman 1809 Middlesex
      Edwin Ponman 1810 Unknown
      allan
      Last edited by garstonite; 01-02-10, 08:43.
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thanks, Naomiatt.

Brentford is actually the registration district

Comment

Originally posted by kiki1982 View Post
          Thanks, Naomiatt.

Brentford is actually the registration district
          Didn't think of that! There are these then;-

Births Jun 1838
          PONMAN Frederick Brentford 3 15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Births Dec 1840

Ponman Margaret Brentford 3 17

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Births Jun 1843

PONMAN William Daniel Brentford 3 17

Births Jun 1846

PONMAN Eliza Brentford 3 18

Deaths Jun 1848

Ponman Esther Ann Brentford 3 14

and a later marriage in 1930 for a D***y

Comment

Working...
          X