Catholic Records on Scotlands People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catholic Records on Scotlands People

This months edition of the BBC 'Who Do You Think You are' Magazine, reported that the rest of the Catholic records (Marriages, Burials, Confirmations) were going on Scotlands People in January, yet it's now the 31st and still no sign of them...anybody heard anymore about when these are coming online?

There is nothing on the Scotland's People site to suggest when the next tranche of records is due, Richard, so I don't know where they got their info.

Haven't found the baptisms of much use so far as only 3(Ithink) parishes in Dundee are covered.
    Sheila

Taking a pause from tripping the light fantastic.

Comment

Oh that's a disappointment! When I saw the thread title, I thought you were going to be announcing some additions Richard!

I was pleasantly surprised to find my gt grandfather's Stirling baptism in the first batch so I'm hoping I'll find the Catholic marriage of his parents.

But, unfortunately, I haven't heard of any planned release date yet.
      Gillian
      User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

According to the magazine the source seems to be a Duncan McNiven, registrar general. Exact Quote:

"January brings an additional year of BMD images, plus the Catholic Parish Registers will be completed, adding marriages, deaths and other records to the collection.

It's dissapointing if the magazine has misunderstood or misquoted him, have been looking foward to these and checking there for them almost daily!

Sheila mine were from Dundee too, and I thought the three churches Scotlands People have St Andrew’s, St Mary, Our Lady of Victories,and St Mary’s [Lochee] were the only three in Dundee. They are the only one listed at The Scottish Catholic Archives :

http://www.scottishcatholicarchives....2/Default.aspx,

So if there were others it doesn't look likely they have survived or will go online.

That said I have managed to find all of mine, plus a couple I didn't know about, in the baptisms of these three churches on Scotlands People (hence the eagerness to see the rest of the records!). I did have to be very flexible in spelling on the surnames though, they varied a great deal on every record, but through a bit of perseverence managed to eventually unearth them all.
        Last edited by Richard; 31-01-10, 21:37.

Comment

With the baptisms I found a Margaret but the age was out - then realised there were two and both died young.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
          X