silly question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silly question

who should I contact regarding possible births at edinburgh castle, approx 1894/98. I have sent a couple of e-mails to their archive and history dept but have never had a reply from them. am I doing something wrong. my g.dad's birth cannot be found on either the scottish or english census for 1901.

thanks
    jean

Have you looked on ScotlandsPeople? That's the main index of Scottish BMDs. You know the name and location and approximate date, so your £6 investment should be more than enough to find and download the birth record. It costs 1 credit (20p) to list a page of the matches and 5 credits (£1) to download the image of the register page.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Jean

Of course, you can search Scotland's People absolutely free, before you spend any money at all.

Do you want to put up a name - I have some spare credits which were given to me and will be happy to use them for you.

OC

Comment

hiya uncle john and oc. thanks for your help. lemon looked for me at the records office last year and couldnt find anything on him or his father, thought perhaps the details may have been held at the castle.

g.fathers name was, william herbert dempster, born approx 1894/98, his father also called william, not sure of his birth year, but I put it at approx 1864. I have been looking for his birth details for years now with no success. my newly found cousins are adament he was born at the castle, his father was a gardener/game keeper for the castle. I found a william herbert on 1911 census but the fathers details are wrong. my g.dad has his father down as william dempster gardener. he dosnt state him as being deceased so I think he was still living at the time of g.dads marriage in 1919. william herbert is supposed to have moved to liverpool/manchester area when he was about 7yrs old, he joined up at seaforth and joined the manchester reg, I found his medal papers but nothing for his service records, he was invalided out in 1917/18.

thanks
        jean

Comment

Working...
        X