Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I identify a mans Regiment by his Medals??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I identify a mans Regiment by his Medals??

If a man in World War 1 had Medals , British Red Cross and Order of St John Jerusalem, could I narrow this down to find his Service records online ? as I dont seem able to find them ?

Order of St John Jerusalem is the St John Ambulance, so maybe he was in the medical part of a regiment.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

thanks Wendy
      Hi Bob I only found the record today on Ancestry ??? so dont know

Comment

thats very nice of you ,this man married my aunt bigamously, so am trying to fnd more info on him.
        Richard Martin Alexander born 1888 in Edmonton

Last edited by Guest; 31-01-10, 18:23.

Comment

thanks Bob he was supposed to be a Aeronautical Engineer would that be why he did not go overseas?

Comment

On the NA, it says corps was

Corps
            British Red Cross Society and Order of St John of Jerusalem, no Regiment number or rank

mm

Comment

Thanks Mary never thought to look there? wondered if he had used a false name at some point.

Comment

yes he is working as an Engineer on Cars in Kent

Comment

no nothing like that thanks Bob
                  I did hear he had married a few times hoping to get a Son ? so he wouldn't have been too disabled LOL

Comment

yes but he never bothered to get divorced first lol

Comment

Hi

A Great Uncle of mine was in the Aero Industry, it was just starting. He was an Art metal Worker before he went into the Aircraft industry. he was with the Short Brothers who were making sea planes in WW1. in Rochester, on the River Medway, Kent. His son was also an aeronautical engineer, he was old enough for the war but didnt join up, and he had nothing wrong with him. Was your fella in Rochester ever???

mm

Comment

hi dont really know I dont think so but you never know do you? he was in Seven Oaks ,Edmonton and Maidstone I know that much.

Comment

Who did he all marry??? i saw him married in 1912 and had 2 daughters in Sevenoaks, what happened after that??

mm

Comment

Sevenoaks is about 5 miles from Rochester, where the Short Bros Factory was. . My G.uncle was busy tinkering with I think it was motor cycles before he joined the S bros, and became an aeronautical engineer. There was no school for this, It was in its infancy. The people who worked there learnt as they went along, he could very well have worked there, and would have not had to go to war. they were after all busy with the war effort. in WW1 they built The S.184, which was the first aircraft to attack a ship with a live torpedo.

mm

Comment

we arent sure who else he married expect for my Aunt under a false name ,and that Lady in 1912, but I'm on the case lol

Comment

Just back from a couple of weeks holiday and spending a wet Sunday afternoon here going back through the forum. Don't know if you have found out any more since the last post on this topic - but I can add a couple of things

Contrary to the information given previously it was only possible to be awarded the British War and Victory Medals if you HAD served overseas - this link to the NA explains the entitlement

If you can get to Kew you can view the original medal rolls of the British Red Cross Society and Order of St John (he is shown on the medal card as being recorded on page 7 on roll BRX/101B) - the catalogue reference is WO 329/2313. This may give you details of service dates and possibly some further information

Another source of information worth checking if you can find a copy is the "British Red Cross Register of Overseas Volunteers 1914 - 1919" - there is a reprint of the original offered for sale on this site (add www. in front as it's a commercial site) which explains the information provided with the entries

servicecomm.co.uk/catalogue.php?product=379&productID=british-red-cross-register-of-overseas-volunteers-1914-18

Hopefully these leads may help you gain a little more info this man

Cheers
                                Sue

Comment

thanks very much for all that info Sue you have been busy, am going to see about that book today.

Comment

Working...
                                  X