Fascinating website Trove - National Library of Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fascinating website Trove - National Library of Australia

My apologies if someone has already posted about the Trove website which is a one stop search point of interest to anyone researching old Australian newspapers, journals, diaries, pictures etc. It's well worth a visit!

Australia’s free online research portal. Trove is a collaboration between the National Library of Australia and hundreds of Partner organisations around Australia.

I was 'lost' there yesterday for several hours and will now be a frequent visitor. I even found a newspaper item about the death of a 3x great- grandfather in one of the NSW gold rush towns in 1866.

Hi - thanks for that. Looks like they've combined the beta newspaper site with it as well.

Comment

I have spent hours searching out the family notices - births, engagements, marriages, deaths, in memoriams for my family details - has lots of things that are restricted from the BDM indexes. Also some very interesting stories about different family members. Silver/Golden wedding notices are good, also funeral notices, some where each child invites friends to a parents funeral - you get lots of names to check !!!
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Naomi, I think you are right about that though this seems to pull up more than I've found on the beta site. Maybe it's just my search methods!

Di, there's so much to check and too easy to be side-tracked!!

Comment

Thanks very much.

Found lots on the family I am researching

Linda

Comment

Thanks so much for this link - finding out SO much!
            Kind regards,
            William
            Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Aagh, Kate, that site's kept me up half the night

I already knew the NLA newspaper site, but I hadn't checked it out recently, and they now have Sydney newspapers from 1840 to 1950 (and they're digitising up to 1952).

I've found loads of stuff, and there's no doubt a lot more in there, if only the OCR'ing was better. Unfortunately I expect that's down to the poor quality of the newsprint, not to the OCR program.

Comment

I found an amazing death notice for a lady connected to my family, who died at 96 leaving 32 grandchildren, 100 great-grandchildren and 2 great-great-grandchildren

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny Kate View Post
                  Naomi, I think you are right about that though this seems to pull up more than I've found on the beta site. Maybe it's just my search methods!

Di, there's so much to check and too easy to be side-tracked!!
                  Hi - yes, lots of the beta info was pink a few weeks ago, and it looks like they're now on line fully...
                  Last edited by naomiatt; 31-01-10, 22:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                    I found an amazing death notice for a lady connected to my family, who died at 96 leaving 32 grandchildren, 100 great-grandchildren and 2 great-great-grandchildren
                    Imagine all those birthday cards!:D

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                      Hi - yes, lots of the beta info was pink a few weeks ago, and it looks like they're now on line fully...
                      There's still some pink stuff, but it's only the last couple of years by the look of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                        There's still some pink stuff, but it's only the last couple of years by the look of it.
                        Yes, I saw a notice that was pink a few weeks ago, and it's now normal...looked at something else, and it's pink..so looks like they're doing it in stages..
                        I could sit on that site for ages!

Comment

Not just the last two years - I was looking for some 1944 issues,and they're pink as well.

Comment

Mary, bet it was worth the loss of sleep!:D
                            Think that site is going to become seriously addictive if they keep adding to/ improving it!

Comment

Yes, definitely. I found a couple of wartime articles that mentioned my dad, as well as some really useful BMD notices.

Comment

Fabulous site - thanks so much for the link spent most of last night working through long lost cousins
                                Now all I need is similar sites for Kenya South Africa and Nigeria !!

Roger

Comment

Thank you! I found some useful info although one discovery also raised a question. I found the murder of an Emma Philbrook in 1931 (such a rare name she must be connected), but none of the newspaper reports states who her husband was - very aggravating.
                                  Jenny

Comment

Thanks again kate. Just "started" searching and found both of my great grandfathers funeral notices....now I have brothers and sisters names for one. Biggest find however was sheet music that my Grandad composed to play for the forces in WW2. I knew he was a great musician, but no one mentioned he composed it to!!!! How wonderful. Big hug
                                    oakes63 passed away in September 2021

Comment

It's great that you are all coming up with exciting finds.
                                      It's the unexpected that keeps drawing me back on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by jenoco View Post
                                        Thank you! I found some useful info although one discovery also raised a question. I found the murder of an Emma Philbrook in 1931 (such a rare name she must be connected), but none of the newspaper reports states who her husband was - very aggravating.
                                        Hi Jenny - have you been able to find a marriage in the NSW BMD?
                                        Last edited by naomiatt; 04-02-10, 08:47.

Comment

Working...
                                        X