Anyone with Australian Ancestry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with Australian Ancestry?

I have come to a halt with one Charles Goring (also known as Frederick Goring) - who was run over by a car in Melbourne, and died on 16 October 1962l

His death certificate shows he was a widower and his wife had been Ada Louise Mary Hill.

I cannot find any record of a marriage Goring - Hill, nor a death of Ada Goring.

Charles (not to be confused with his father) was born in 1898 in Oxley, Vic

Can any one find this marriage and death please?
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

Although I've got Oz ancestry - can't find any bdm's for oz at all. Hasn't Victoria got its bdm's online or am I mistaken?

http://www.genealogylinks.net/marria...a/victoria.htm - just had a look and couldn't find a marriage.
    Last edited by JBee; 30-01-10, 22:34. Reason: found link

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Are there any electoral rolls or census then? Any Goring will do. I dont think Vic have theirs on line - I know WA does and NSW. I'll check.

Comment

Can't find any Charles but there's a Frederick Goring in 1954 a boilermaker in Yarra

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Yes, that is him - I was just looking at the inquest in to his death - Frederick Charles Herman Goring 6 Barry St Sth Yarra, boilermaker. I just noticed that his "son in law" identified him - son in law was Leo Flannery and had know Frederick for 27 years. I'm thinking that Ada Hill married a Flannery about 1935 perhaps. Goring supposedly had no children.

Comment

All I can find is him on the electors roll in Yarra - the only Ada is an Ada Martha Goring.

There's an Ada and Dudley Goring in Oxley, Queensland in 1913 - 236 River Terrace, Kangaroo Point. That's the same one as Ada Martha.

Frederick is at 11 Dickens St, Richmond Central in 1919/1924
            South Rd, Bentleigh, Hently, Vic in 1931
            93 Coppin St, Richmond in 1936/1937
            7 Barry St, Fawkner, S.Yarra 1943/1949/1954

seems to be on his own

Comment

Yes, the Fredericks would be all mine. I dont think its that Ada tho - Ada Martha - her name was Ada Louise Mary according to her son in law Leo Flannery, and he'd know Frederick for 27 years before his (Gorings) death in 1962 which made me think Goring had married Hill approx.1935. I guess finding Leo's birth might help.
              Leo was a motor mechanic in 1962
              Last edited by jood; 31-01-10, 03:47.

Comment

If Ada's son name was Leo Flannery, perhaps you should also look for a Goring-Flannery marriage.

It would be unusual, in 1962, for a stepson to be described as Son-in-law. I think by 1962, son-in-law generally meant your daughter's husband.

Electoral Roll for Victoria 1919
                Hill, Ada Louisa Mary, 90 Barnett St, Kensington, machiniest. Division of Maribyrnong.
                Also at this address, Agnes Mary Hill, home duties
                Sarah Hill, office cleaner
                adn William Henry Pearce Hill, driver.
                Last edited by dicole; 31-01-10, 03:48.
                Diane
                Sydney Australia
                Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I'm so sorry Dicole - my fault - I typed this out once, and lost it - or half of it - so had to retype the first bit - I actually had that he was the son in law - not son. My mistake and I am so sorry. I should have checked, I had it right the first time:(

Refer Message 5. I will alter the message so no-one else gets confused.

Comment

Ada's son in law (post #7) but not Frederick Charles then, if he had no children ?
                    So Ada Louisa Mary Hill married after 1919 and had a daughter who married said Leo Flannery ?

The only "Ada Louisa Mary", in the next electoral roll is Ada Louisa Mary MARTIN, married to Robert Phillip MARTIN, driver, living at 15 Mary St Richmond.
                    So if Mary had a daughter she should appear after 1944 (when she might have been 21). Hang on, I' lll look some more.

so we are looking for a daughter MARTIN marriage to Leo FLANNERY and a Ada MARTIN marriage to Frederick or Charles Goring.
                    Last edited by dicole; 31-01-10, 04:03.
                    Diane
                    Sydney Australia

Comment

wow Dicole - I had just typed out a whole screed to make it easier for you. But that is sounding great.

I’ll start all over again and make it clearer

Frederick Charles Herman Goring was run over and hit by a car in Sth Yarra 1962

He was identified by son in law Leo Flannery who had known him for 27 years. ( says son in law but must be step son in law)

Death certificate showed he was a widower – wife was Ada Louise Mary.

He had no children.

I want to find a birth of Ada Louise Mary which I guess would be around 1900 or thereabouts.

Then a marriage to ? presumably a Mr Hill – and they had at least one child – a daughter who married Leo Flannery presumably 27 yrs prior to 19262 (1935)

Sooooooo when did Ada Louise Mary die, how many and who were the kids, and under which name did she die – Hill or Goring?
                      When (if she did) did she marry Frederick Charles Herman Goring?

Comment

On the Victorian BDMs website, its free to search, but costs to view any results (its only 99c) - I got one hit for a MARTIN-FLANNERY marriage, but don't know the details.
                        THere are two Leo Flannerys in the Victorian Electoral Rolls in 1954
                        Leo Francis Flannery - but according to the Newspapers website, he was 17yrs in 1929 and charged with breaking and entering, by age, more a contemporary of Ada than her daughter.
                        The other is Leo Thomas Flannery, in 1954 at 254 Maribyrnong RRd Moonie Ponds, green grocer,
                        at the same address is Gwenyth Therese Flannery.
                        Theres also a Leo Patrick Flannery, but he only appears in 1937. My internet is really slow this afternoon, so its taking a while to load the ancestry pages.
                        back soon

1937 Vic. Electoral Roll
                        Leo Patrick Flannery 69 Park Rd, Flemington, mechanic
                        at the same address, Ethel Marion Flannery, canister maker.
                        Last edited by dicole; 31-01-10, 04:26.
                        Diane
                        Sydney Australia

Comment

Thanks Di - take your time.
                          I wonder if someone as the Victorian CDs and it might be showing on there?

Comment

Just thinking, if Frederick Goring is on his own in the 1954 Electoral Roll, his marriage to Ada Louisa will not be in the Vic BDM indexes, they only go up to 1942.
                            Ada Lousa Mary Hill must have been at least 21 in 1919 to make the Electoral Roll.
                            Then the dates don't work as if her daughter was Ethel Marion married Leo Patrick Flannery, then she must have been 21 in 1937 !! Right profession for Leo, wrong dates.
                            Think we need Ada's death cert. Vic BDM deaths go up to 1985 - there's one Ada Goring death between 1942 and 1945,(I narrowed it down to 1944) so you need to tackle the Vic BDm indexes - either on microfiche or online. Online costs 99c per page to view, but you can download the certificates immediately for $17.50.
                            Last edited by dicole; 31-01-10, 05:08.
                            Diane
                            Sydney Australia

Comment

Thanks Di - for your help. I really do appreciate the time.

Will do as you say. Thanks again.

Comment

no problems, Jood, am having a lazy Sunday afternoon.
                                Diane
                                Sydney Australia

Comment

*smile* why dont you join us aussies on General Discussion - Wattlers

Comment

there may be an inquest report, there are indexes at the state archives for those. i dont know how to order them though. i also think the only way to get marriages after 1945 is to go in person to the office. it costs more if you dont know the ref number. wouldnt the death give his age at marriage? that way you can calculate when it should of happened, and see if the 1944 one is right?

Comment

I did get the inquest a long time ago, that's how I knew of the son in law. Anyway we now have the death certificate of Ada Louise Mary and together with the census that was shown to me - I have now pieced the story together.

Many thanks to all concerned.

Comment

Working...
                                      X