Census records on FMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census records on FMP

I have just emailed them as I seem to be having a lot of trouble finding people on the census records especially on 1911 ?
    I have tried all manner of variations even for a whole family who must be somewhere ?
    I'm not happy as my husband bought me the whole, sub for a year which I may as well not have bothered with.
    Has anybody else emailed them and if so what was their reply??

To date I have correcterd about twenty mistakes on the Transcripts for FMP. One they have refused to correct , one born in Bolton Northants!! Should be Pilton Northants. Trouble is if you get one thing wrong for the transcript then the cernsus will not show for you so you must know beforehand for example that your ancestor was born Millbank not Southwark, despite the fact that you know that Millbank is not really a place!! So finding this particular person took me over a day!! And no I never thought to put in Millbank instead of Southwark and found him by putting in no place of birth which came up with many of same name and took me an hour to plough through!! Put in as little as possible is my advice and be prepared to spend hours. Most of mine are taking many hours to find!! Some are mistakes on the original census, but most are stupid mistakes on the transcripts. Not the fault of FMP but the fault of the transcribers. Do send the correct ones back to FMP when you d find them to help others!

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 30-01-10, 18:34.

Comment

Hi Val....may I ask the details of who you are looking for in FMP please.

Sometimes a second pair of eyes,,,,,,,,
      Tony

Comment

Its not good enough Janet I have tried leaving off surnames, leaving off first names, putting in places of birth, leaving out places of birth ,giving the option of a least 4 years either way for the Birth year etc etc etc
        Tony are you sure ?? it will drive you nuts too?
        will sort out the names tomorrow

Comment

I think you've been unlucky Val.
          I have to say I generally find the FMP transcriptions to be better than Ancestry.
          However, you do have to be careful with the search criteria you use on FMP - I don't think it is quite as flexible as Ancestry.
          Elaine

Comment

it took them roughly a week to reply to email about the village of neasham in durham on the 1851 census. ancestry has it, but fmp seems to not. they say are fixing the problem, but they dont know how long it will take.

Comment

Val, I think part of the trouble is that many householders could not spell very well, and some did not know their county of birth. The transcribers can only put what is written on the census page. I was tearing my hair out the other day looking for someone born in Bildeston, Suffolk, and when I found her the transcription was exactly what had been written: Bildiston, Essex. The thing is, it can't be corrected to help others: the transcription as it stands is correct.

scuda
              Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

thanks for your replies I know this sounds daft but I found them easier before it became part of their package ?????????????
                I do wonder if this one family are not what it seems ? as I thought I had found the death for the Father but now not so sure as a couple of children were born and baptised after that date???
                But cannot find the parents together on any census other than 1851 ,they married in 1839, none of the family in 1861, and only a few of the married children in 1871ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrr

Comment

Have we tried looking for this family before Val, if not do you want to give some names?
                  Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine to be honest I cant remember but I think so they have me in a right old two and eight I spent hours yesterday trying to find them.

If I list them all maybe you will recognise them ? and if so ignore them LOL thanks .

George william Knight born 1815 Bermondsey Occupation Currier
                    As it is on the childrens Baptisms and their marriages so it doesn't change.

Marries in 1839 Lambeth to
                    Mary Leonard born 1818 St Martins

All children born in Bermondsey most at same address
                    George Daniel 1840 cant find in 1861
                    Frances Eleanor 1842 cant find in 1861
                    Frederick James 1844 cant find in 61 71 or 81
                    Emily 1846 cant find in any but 1851
                    John 1852 cant find in any
                    Charles owen 1853 cant find 61 or 71
                    Henry 1856 cant find in 61 71 and 81
                    William John 1857 cant find in any
                    Mary Charlotte 1859 cant find in any

This is before any of their marriages
                    and William John is one I only found the Baptism for yesterday so he wont have been looked up before
                    Thanks to anybody that tries and if you find them I owe you one

Comment

There is a tree on Ancestry with George William KNIGHT and Mary LEONARD stating George died 1855. Most of the children are similar to your list, but gives William, 1849 and does not have Mary Charlotte at all

Beverley

Comment

If George died in 1855 then it's quite possible that Mary remarried - and the children are listed under her new name in 1861, which is why they are so elusive.

There is one marriage on freeBMD - March 1857 in Bermondsey - but it only has three people listed and I'm having trouble trying to find the 4th!
                        Elaine

Comment

sorry I did start to answer this then got thrown off.
                          Thanks Beverly have contacted that person some time ago and they dont know where they got the 1855 death info from?? and I only found out about Mary Charlotte recently on the LMA records so maybe they dont know ?
                          Thanks Elaine but if he died in 1855 why are the children born after that baptised with his name as Father ??

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                            Thanks Elaine but if he died in 1855 why are the children born after that baptised with his name as Father ??
                            - sorry Val, wasn't concentrating there! They certainly are elusive, but I don't think it is through the fault of FindmyPast because I can't see them on Ancestry either.
                            Elaine

Comment

strange isnt it Elaine ??? I have seen a few with the father in their tree and saying 1855 for his death but nothing to back it up, and I really cant spend too much on maybes ??? I will need to narrow it down first.
                              Thanks

Comment

Hi Val

I wonder could this be Frederick (1844) on the 1871 census -
                                Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 614; Folio: 89; Page: 36; GSU roll: 818914.

Fred Knight visitor Widower 27 Commercial Traveller born London
                                Head of household - Joseph Ernest Bruck (born Paris) also a Commercial Traveller, with his wife Louisa and children
                                Address - 4 Lorrimore Square, Lambeth.

I will have another look for the others later. Hope it is one of your missing family.

Comment

There is also a possible death for George Knight

Dec 1881 Southwark 1d 15 - birth year given as about 1817

Comment

Terrianne that certainly looks hopeful shall take a look thanks , and that death looks good too but where is he in the years between ??? I have been having another look for the youngest child but still nothing.

Comment

as the 1871 image is so bad on Ancestry thought I would look at it on FMP and would you believe it cannot find it ????
                                      What am I doing wrong ???????????????????????????HELP

Comment

Hi Val

on those births/baptisims you say you found for them was there a proper address given to show where they were living at the time.
                                        WendyP

Comment

Working...
                                        X