X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone read these?

surname1.jpg

surname2.jpg

I'm trying to read a will that was proved in 1692. There are two surnames in it that I just can't figure out. Can anyone else read them? Thanks!

Belinda
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

I havent got a clue, just didnt want you to think that no-one was bothering
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
      I havent got a clue, just didnt want you to think that no-one was bothering
      Bless you!
      Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Hi
        I have been trying to read the names. I don't know if this will help + I may not have added it correctly, but here goes.
        Moggie

Comment

It might! Thank you very much.

Comment

The first one looks like ROTHMALER

The next one appears to start with B, but I'd need to be able to see it with slightly better definition to make any further guesses.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi
              I think the second name starts with H. I have a will which is quite a bit later than yours but I have just been looking at it & mine mentions Hanover (Sq) & the H looks identical to yours. I have scanned & cropped it but can't find a way to put it up on here.
              Moggie

Comment

Moggie - I think you're right. It should be H.

Is that a downstroke from the target name, or an upstroke from the text below?

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Is there any chance that these are different versions of the same surname? They look roughly the same shape (with the first vowel sound o in the top one, and ou in the lower one). If I squint at the second one, it might end "...er" but it would need to be written in a different handwriting, and you did say these are from the same will.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your efforts. I think you're right about the second name starting with H. They are different names: I think they're the married names of the testator's two daughters. As for Vothmaler, Rothmaler, it's driving me mad! I've tried searching Ancestry starting that name with every letter of the alphabet and it finds nothing useful. Oh well...

Comment

If the first surname is Rothmaler, Google picks up several references to the name, mainly Germanic. However, Robert Boyle's biographers do identify one in London (a correspondent with Boyle) at about the right date:

Robert Boyle website Birkbeck College, University of London.

"Erasmus Rothmaler, 1685, BL 5, fols. 46-8 [an alchemist formerly in Vienna, domiciled in Burghley St by Exeter Exchange; he also presented an alchemical MS to Boyle, now BP 23, pp. 307-473]"

(Not sure whether you would already have ruled this out)

Comment

Oooh! That's exciting, thank you! I'd googled Vothmaler, but hadn't got as far as googling other variations. I shall follow this one up.

Comment

ROTHMALER seems more likely - the first part of teh name is the same as for ROTH-SCHILD (red-shield, using the older spelling for the word now seen as "rot").

Christine

Comment

Working...
                          X