Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corcoran/cochrane

hi all

am trying to find a maria corcoran or cochrane, married 14th jan 1878 to squire jones - father thomas cochrane, stonemason, born in woolton, liverpool, age 23, marriage in prescot

have got the family in the census but would like a birth for either maria or father thomas, many thanks for your time

Can you give the reference for the 1861 census please ..

.. and welcome to Family Tree Forum.
    Elaine

Comment

Could this be Maria's birth (from freeBMD)

Births Mar 1856
      COCHRANE Maria
      Preston 8e 434

- if so the matching entry on LancashireUKBMD gives the mother's maiden name as Reynolds.
      Elaine

Comment

hi elaine, thanks for the welcome, we are near neighbors, i am in thailand, hot again today, did it have thomas as father, preston is quite a way from prescot, which is liverpool really, i will have a look but every time i use that freebmd it never gives me any results, thanks for looking

Comment

The birth registration doesn't give you parents name - it just gives the details that you would require for ordering the certificate.

My knowledge of Lancashire geography is not that great!
          Can you give the 1861 census details so we can see the family set up.
          Elaine

Comment

i have 1881, 22 appleton village , widnes, squire jones, 26, chemical labourer born leeds, maria jones/corcoran, 25, born woolton, martha elizabeth jones,2 born widnes, thomas jones, 11 months born widnes

Comment

Do you have her in any census before she married?
              Elaine

Comment

no sorry, that's the earliest i have, 1878

Comment

Not having much luck finding them at the moment.
                  Going out now but will look in again later!
                  Elaine

Comment

appreciated elaine

Comment

She marries with the name of Cochrane. Where have you found the alternative spelling of Corcoran?

Who were the witnesses on the marriage certificate?
                      Elaine

Comment

May not be much help but just a thought and maybe worth consideration. Corcoran is an Irish name and Cochrane may be the Anglicised version. If you can find earlier census for parents, this may help you. Liverpool of course was first port of call for all Irish emigrants.

Janet

Comment

There is a Mary Ann Corcoran born Liverpool June 1855 Q 8b 237 on Free BMD. Mary Ann often translates to Maria. Also found two Thomas Corcoran on 1861 Census for West Derby Liverpool popular area with Irish immigrants. Both are from Ireland, one born 1798 and one age 30 b about 1831. All children born West Derby. Thomas the younger has a daughter Mary though the age is slightly out but I would not be too surprised at that. If these may be yours and these two families might well be connected with each other, then you would need to check further census to see if you could find a place in Ireland rather than just Ireland.

By the way Prescot is near to West Derby.

On 1851 Census there is a Thomas Corcoran born 1831 who is a private in the Barracks at Ashton under Lyne. This Thomas gives his birth place as Cork. Is it the same Thomas Corcoran appearing in West Derby in 1861 Census? Same year birth date. Would need to follow these through the census.

Janet
                          Last edited by Janet; 30-01-10, 21:19.

Comment

wow, lots of info. elaine, the witnesses were henry dugmore and elizabeth landers, looking to find where i had the alternative spelling from, marriage according to the rites and ceremonies of the established church

apparently woolton in the old days was not yet part of liverpool as we know it now, but did have a big Irish population, good idea janet

will persue those 2 Thomas corcorans and see if i can find more, many , many thanks

Comment

hi again, have just had a look on family search and found maria corcoran
                              28 feb 1853
                              woolton
                              father - thos corcoran
                              mother - mary murphy corcoran

what do you think

Comment

From the IGI, there are two sisters for Maria Corcoran:

Johanna Corcoran
                                Christening: 15 JUL 1855 St Mary Woolton, Liverpool, Lancashire

Anna Corcoran
                                Christening: 18 APR 1849 St Mary Woolton, Liverpool, Lancashire

I think we need to find this family in the census and follow them through to see if we can match them with father Thomas - stonemason. - or eliminate them!
                                Elaine

Comment

Possible 1851 census for the family from the IGI

- Ancestry.co.uk

HO107; Piece: 2193; Folio: 134; Page: 26

which shows:

Thomas Corcoren b 1824 Ireland - occupation labourer
                                  Mary Corcoren b 1826 Ireland
                                  Ann Corcoren b 1849 Much Woolton
                                  Elaine

Comment

Ann b 1849 - looks as if she was away from home in the 1861 - listed as a servant
                                    - Ancestry.co.uk
                                    Elaine

Comment

I really don't know where that Corcoran family are hiding after 1851 - having trouble finding them.
                                      Elaine

Comment

hi elaine, maria corcorans marriage was at farnham, prescot 1878, which is all part of greater liverpool now, if she was born in woolton as she claims, thats 1853, 2 years after the census so they must of been there somewhere

as you say finding thomas jones stonemason and family after 1851 is definitely the key, yes

Comment

Working...
                                        X