Qld, Australia birth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qld, Australia birth?

I've never dealt with Queensland before in family history - can one of my aussie mates find a birth of Mary Elizabeth Erdman born in Dalby Qld approx 1871 - her parents were John Erdman and Catherine (surname u/known.

Not sure if the parents were married in Qld, I guess if so, it would have been about 20 years pior.
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

Have you looked here: http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/bdm.htm

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Are you confident about the name "Catherine" for the mother?

There are a number of births registered in QLD where the mother's name is "Caroline" and her maiden name is obviously problematic, but something like ROCHE or RAUSH.
      1866 Mary
      1870 Elizabeth
      1871 Mena
      1876 Annie Margaret
      1885 Caroline Amelia Louisa

Deaths registered in QLD for people with the same parents as above (which suggest that the above records are not yet fully transcribed!):
      1890 Kate Annie
      1898 Margaret
      1921 Elizabeth Ann
      1953 George William (m 1903 Caroline Mary Eliza Brown)
      1964 Louisa Isabella
      1964 Frederick John (m 1903 Ella Bougoure)

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There are a couple of ERDMAN deaths in NSW ( http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/search.htm ), where the father's name is John.

And 10 ERDMAN grooms, and 7 ERDMAN brides in NSW.

Christine

Comment

I have marriage certificate and death certificate for Mary Elizabeth.

Marriage certificate dated 2 Dec 1897 states she was married in Albury, NSW aged 26 - her father was Erdman (cattle salesman) mother u/k
          It is signed spelt ERDMANN (but is transcribed). She states she is born in Dalby, Qld.

Death certificate states she died on 30 October 1900 (Albury) aged 33 - her father John Erdman a teamster and mother Catherine, surname u/k (spelt with one N)
          Further, she was shown as having been born in Dalby,but lived in NSW for 15 years. Death cert also shows she was married at age 23 years. Birth can therefore be approx. between 1867 to1874

Twice father has been named as John, twice it says she was born in Dalby. Spelling could be Erdman or Erdmann

Does that help? I couldnt find anything except what you said - Mary to John Erdman & Caroline Roche.

I guess the mother's name COULD be Caroline, but her daughter didn't even know of her mother, and whoever put the death notice in, wrote Catherine.

Comment

Entering ERDMANN in the search terms elicits some more hits:

QLD - births
            1872 Hannah Kate
            1874 George William
            1878 John Frederick

QLD - marriages
            three, including
            1883 Minna married Carl Friedrich William Frank

There are some BMD events in NSW as well

Christine

Comment

Thanks Christine. The father is definitely John and she is definitely Mary. I have no other information on John as to whether he had other kids.

Comment

Not sure if this would help - Qld separated from NSW in 1859 - so records could show in both states.
                There are also Erdman (sp) in the beta newspaper site - http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home
                Dalby Family History Society - http://www.dalby.info/dalbymuseum/ might be worth an e mail.
                Last edited by naomiatt; 30-01-10, 21:47.

Comment

I forgot about that Naomiatt - Im pretty sure I've looked in NSW also tho - remember she specifically states she was born in Dalby.

Comment

Originally posted by jood View Post
                    I forgot about that Naomiatt - Im pretty sure I've looked in NSW also tho - remember she specifically states she was born in Dalby.
                    Hi - yes, thought her parents might show up in NSW for a marriage and not in Qld...
                    so far found a John marriage in NSW but it's later -
                    1137/1887 ERDMANN JOHN G J TURNBULL LUCY SYDNEY
                    Last edited by naomiatt; 30-01-10, 22:01.

Comment

I just had a look - didnt know you had looked also :( tried both spellings, no luck. Bit of a mystery that one

Comment

Do you know if she had any siblings?? Just looking at Qld BMD again - a Mary was reg in 1866 - an Elizabeth in 1870........maybe it's worth applying for a cert??
                        Hard call...

Comment

Originally posted by jood View Post
                          I just had a look - didnt know you had looked also :( tried both spellings, no luck. Bit of a mystery that one
                          Maybe he had re-married....
                          Did you mean that this 1137/1887 ERDMANN JOHN G J TURNBULL LUCY SYDNEY
                          didn't show when you looked at NSW info?
                          Last edited by naomiatt; 30-01-10, 22:38.

Comment

Naomiatt - I dont think its important enough to warrant applying for a birth certificate - To all intents and purposes she was born in Dalby. I just wanted to find out what year, as it didn't add up. Don't worry about it any more - its just one of life's mysteries lol

I do appreciate your help tho - thanks.

Comment

Jood......try asking Dalby FHS. Here is a contact. They are great.

Comment

Working...
                              X